Bartow County Genealogical Society and Family Research Library

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (added topic)
(29 intermediate revisions by 5 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
''[[United States|United States]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Georgia]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Georgia Archives and Libraries|Archives and Libraries]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]][[Bartow_County_Genealogical_Society_and_Family_Research_Library]]''
+
[[United States]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Georgia]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Georgia Archives and Libraries|Archives and Libraries]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]][[Bartow County Genealogical Society and Family Research Library]]  
  
 
=== Contact Information  ===
 
=== Contact Information  ===
  
'''Address:'''<br>
+
'''Address:&nbsp;&nbsp; '''101 North Erwin Street Cartersville, Ga. 30120<br>  
  
:101 North Erwin Street <br>Cartersville, Georgia 30120-0993
+
'''Post Office Address''': P.O. Box 993, Cartersville, Ga. 30120-0993  
  
'''E-mail:'''<br>
+
'''Facebook:'''&nbsp;[http://www.facebook.com/bartowcountygenealogicalsocietyinc Bartow County Genealogy Society]
  
:genhelp2@att.net
+
'''E-mail:''' [mailto:genhelp2@att.net genhelp2@att.net]
  
'''Webpage:'''  
+
'''Webpage: '''[http://www.barctygen.org www.barctygen.org]
  
:www.barctygen.org
+
'''Telephone: 770-606-0706'''
  
'''Telephone:'''<br>
+
'''Library Hours: '''Monday-Wednesday-Friday 10:00 A.M. till 3:30 P.M.
  
:770-606-0706
+
'''Services: '''3 computers, 2 scanners; family histories; microfilmed newspapers
  
'''Library Hours:'''<br>
+
'''Directions: '''From Atlanta, go north on Interstate 75 North to exit 288. Turn left on Ga.113 (Main St.) and proceed toward downtown. After passing Applebee's restaurant, turn right on Church St.; cross over highway 41, cross Tennessee St.; go over bridge,then turn right at the four-way stop. We are located in the Arts Center building on the right. Ample parking is available. A handicap entrance is available at the front of the building.
  
:Monday-Wednesday-Friday 10:00 A.M. till 3:30 P.M.
+
'''Membership: '''Open to any person regardless of residence, age, race, creed, or age who is interested in genealogy or the history of this area; dues are $20 per year and includes 4 quarterlies.  
  
'''Directions:'''<br>
+
'''Meetings: '''Open to the general public and held at 2:00 P.M. on the first Sunday of each month at the Bartow County Family Research Library. If the first Sunday falls on a holiday weekend, the meeting is held the following Sunday. No December meeting!
  
'''&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'''&nbsp; From Atlanta, go north on Interstate North to exit 288. Turn left on Ga.113 (Main St.) and proceed toward downtown. After passing Applebee's restaurant, turn right on Church St.; cross over highway 41, cross Tennessee St.; go over bridge,&nbsp;then&nbsp;turn right at the four-way stop. We are located in the Arts Center&nbsp;building on the right.&nbsp;Ample parking&nbsp;is available.&nbsp; A handicap entrance is available at the front of the building.
+
'''Society History:'''<br>
  
'''Membership: O'''pen to any person regardless of residence, age, race, creed, or age who is interested in genealogy or the history of this area;&nbsp;dues are $20 per year and includes 4 quarterlies
+
An organizational meeting was convened in January 1992 with the expressed purpose of forming the first genealogical society in Bartow County. Records indicate that 26 people attended the meeting held at the public library. Mrs. Rita Linker, county librarian, acted as host.<br>
  
'''Meetings: '''Open to the general public and held at 2:00 P.M. on the first Sunday of each month at the Bartow County Family Research Library. If the first&nbsp;Sunday falls on a holiday weekend, the&nbsp;meeting is held the following Sunday .
+
The Bartow County Genealogical Society was officially organized on January 22, 1992. The following officers were elected: Jean Belew, President; Linda Gossett Cochran, Vice-President; Martha Hale; Secretary; and Jerry Bohannon, Treasurer. The groundwork and goals developed by its charter members have served the Society well. Shortly after the organization, the Society began to sponsor a Family Research Library that now houses numerous genealogical records.<br>
  
'''Publications for Sale:'''
+
'''Society Goals:'''<br>
  
*Bartow County Georgia Heritage Book Volume I  
+
#Create an interest in genealogical research and local history by presenting informative programs<br>
*Bartow County Georgia Heritage Book Volume II  
+
#Promote the collection and preservation of family records, manuscripts, and other documents of genealogical value<br>
 +
#Encourage and acquaint the Society members with sources of material and serve as a medium for exchange of genealogical information <br>
 +
#Publish and distribute information on records that has been collected<br>
 +
 
 +
'''Publications for Sale:'''
 +
 
 +
*Bartow County Georgia Heritage Book, Volume I and II  
 
*Favorites From Our Table Cookbook  
 
*Favorites From Our Table Cookbook  
*Bartow County Flags 3'x5'
+
*Bartow County Genealogical Society Quarterly,1992-2013
 +
 
 +
----
 +
 
 +
&nbsp;'''History of Oak Grove Methodist Church (Summer 2003 quarterly)'''
 +
 
 +
Oak Grove Methodist Church was organized in October, 1871. The building was constructed from wood cut from the building site, which was donated by the late Levi Jolly. The church, situated on a knoll and surrounded by oak trees was given the name Oak Grove by one of its charter members, Mrs. Hayne Dodd. The first trustees were G.A. Fink, R.H. Dodd, William Brandon, J.C. Dodd and R.F. Jolly, Sr.
 +
 
 +
The church was first on the VanWert Circuit, which included some churches in Polk County, one of them being the Rockmart Church. In December 1887, Oak Grove was transferred to the Kingston Charge and so has remained. The other churches on the charge at the present time are Barnsley and Kingston. The Kingston Charge was in the Dalton District until July, 1962, when it was transferred to the Rome District.
 +
 
 +
The first pastor was the Rev. Joseph Carr. Several prominent ministers served the church in the early days. Oak Grove was the first pastorate of the Rev. Sam&nbsp;Jones. Others include the Rev. Gus Harris, father of the Rev. Pierce Harris, and the Rev. Edward Mackey.
 +
 
 +
Two members from the church have gone into the ministry. They are the Rev. Hubert Dodd and the Rev. Reynolds Groon, Sr. Both of them are retired at this writing.
 +
 
 +
The original building was completely destroyed on Marh 21, 1932 by a tornado which hit this section of Bartow County.
 +
 
 +
On the same site, and again using native material, a rock church was constructed during the summer months by members and friends in the community with the help of only one rock mason.The church was financed by contributions of the members and friends for the sum of $715.00, most of which was used for material. The furnishings were also donations. The old seats, which were left standing on the floor after the tornado, were used until one year later when new pews were bought with funds from a benefit barbecue. The altar rail is the only piece of furniture that was salvaged from the wreckage and pieced together so that it is in use today.
 +
 
 +
On September 18, 1932 the new church was dedicated. The Rev. W.A. Simmons, a former pastor, delivered the dedicatory sermon. A great crowd attended. A basket dinner was served at noon. A song service and informal talks in the afternoon concluded the program for the day. The pastor was the Rev. H.G. Garrett and the District Superintendent was the Rev. J.R. Turner. The Board of Stewards were Frank Jolly, C.W.Wade, Frank Brandon, Noel Jolly, R.L. Beardon and W.J. Fountain.
 +
 
 +
Since the new building was built, improvements have been made from time to time which include a red velvet kneeling pad, the addition of a steeple, painting the interior and exterior wood work, refinishing the floors, installing an accoustical tile ceiling, gas heat and most recently screens for windows and doors.
 +
 
 +
In the past several years additional gifts have been given to the church including hymn books and a bulletin board&nbsp;by the daughters of the late Mr. and Mrs. Dillard Sims. The bulletin board was erected in January 1965 and dedicated on Sunday, February 21, 1965. Dr. and Mrs. Hamilton S. Dixon gave a Hammond Spinet organ in November,1961.
 +
 
 +
Homecoming day was observed July 30, 1961. The Rev. Hubert Dodd, son of the late Sim and Irene Dodd, delivered the sermon. A large congregation was present. This was the first homecoming since the dedication&nbsp;of the new building in1932.
 +
 
 +
Oak Grove is one of the few Methodist churches which was established in Bartow County in the late 1800's which is still active. The present Board of Stewards and Trustees are Carl Dover, Frank Jolly, Neel Jolly, Odell Nally, E.L. Wade, Robert Jolly and C.W.Wade.
 +
 
 +
Many individuals and families by word and deed have helped to make its history. Although the membership is small, the Faith of our Fathers presents a&nbsp;challenge to the present and future members. In so doing Oak Grove Methodist Church will continue to advance the cause of Christ. For who can tell what will be accomplished through even a few, who are fully dedicated to Him.&nbsp;
 +
 
 +
Written June 6, 1965;&nbsp;Church Records and History Committe: Mrs. R.F.&nbsp;Jolly, Mrs.&nbsp;Ray&nbsp;Worthington, and Miss Adys Jolly
 +
 
 +
Submitted to quarterly by Mimi Jo&nbsp;Butler of Jasper Ga. <br>
 +
 
 +
----
 +
 
 +
<u>'''Spring 2014 Quarterly'''</u><br>
 +
 
 +
Table of Contents:
 +
 
 +
Welcome New Members
 +
 
 +
The Lost Trail Found
 +
 
 +
Sketch of Evangelist Sam Jones
 +
 
 +
Justices and Notaries Public for Allatoona
 +
 
 +
Justices and Notaries Public for Cartersville
 +
 
 +
Survey and Plat for Nancy Bailey
 +
 
 +
Bartow County Superior Court Criminal Docket, July 1896
 +
 
 +
Inventory and Appraisement of the Estate of Lucy Kerr
 +
 
 +
Cartersville News Genealogical Abstracts, 1913
 +
 
 +
The Good Old Days-1955
 +
 
 +
Historic Oothcalooga Baptist Church Burns
 +
 
 +
Old Macedonia Baptist Church Cemetery (Interments)
 +
 
 +
Inventory and Appraisement of the Property of John McMickle
 +
 
 +
----
 +
 
 +
'''Obituaries Abstracted from the Cartersville News,&nbsp; October-December 1913'''<br>1. Rev. R.B. Headden<br>2. William P. Gaines<br>3. Miss Cochran<br>4. Mrs. Bailey of Cave<br>5. Mrs. Mattie Luther Boyd<br>6. Mrs. Martha Sheats<br>7. Aunt Sarah Brown [African Amrican]<br>8. Mrs. Caroline Lyons<br>9. James Ligon<br>10. Mr. M.H.Hood<br>11. Rev. Dr. John B. Robins<br>12. Mr. John L. Smith<br>13. Robert Stokes Sayres<br>14. Little Thomas Knight<br>15. Mrs. Ilie Fincher<br>16. Mr. J.C. Milam<br>17. Singleton McGuire<br>18. Rev. Elam Christian<br>19. W.P. Naves<br>20. Mrs. L.B. Matthews<br>
 +
 
 +
----
 +
 
 +
'''List of Insolvent Tax Payers of Bartow County<br>Allowed by the County Commissioners for the year 1878<br>Cartersville District'''  
 +
 
 +
Adams, Milligan<br>Arnold, Clements<br>Adair, Wm J<br>Anderson, WG<br>Akre Wooten<br>Barnett, George<br>Burdette Lindsay<br>Baker, Jesse L<br>Ballard, John<br>Baker, Emily R <br>Bozeman, Wm A<br>Brewster, Robert<br>Baldwin, Commodore P<br>Bowling, Willard<br>Burdette, Kennedy<br>Carroll, George<br><strike>Crawford, John A</strike> March 16, 1896 Paid<br>Crawford, Alfred J<br>Caldwell, Melvin<br>Crawley, Henry C<br>Cain, John F<br>Cracken, John H<br>Dunn, Adam J (Canada)<br>Durham, Jacob<br>Davis, Wm<br>Felton, Adolphus J<br>Guthrie, William V<br>Hazlewood, B M<br>Hitchcock, Jno B<br>Holcombe, Benjamin<br>Howell, Wm<br>Hunt, James<br>Hilburn, John<br>Jones, John<br>Jolly, Jas W Paid<br>Jones, Elija A<br>Johnson Amos<br>Johnson, James M<br>Leachman, Colonel J<br>Lowman, Saul A<br>Lackey Jas M<br>Mackey, Albert L<br>McDonald Isaac<br>Mecklin, John L<br>Milam, Thos J.<br>Myers, Jno D<br>Morrison Albert F<br>McCrary, FM<br>McCart, Peter<br>Newton, Uriah<br>Nelson, Wm<br>Northerly, Henry<br>Pickens, Jno A<br>Powell, James Henry<br>Powlaski, Jno<br>Parker, AB<br>Pritchett, Joshua W<br>Perkins, Dave<br>Palmer, Henry<br>Padgette, Benj R<br>Roberts, Jas G<br>Ramey, Rice<br>Rainey, John<br>Reed, Robert<br>Reed, John<br>Rutledge, Wm<br>Rowland, Geo M<br>Starnes, WR<br>Stapp, Larkin S<br>Smith, Jno R S<br>Shaw, JP (overage)<br>Smith, NG<br>Straw, Adolphus<br>Smith, J Dickerson M.D. <br>Simmons, John<br>Show, Jno<br>Tompkins, Caleb<br>Toney, Matthias<br>Toney, Jesse<br>?Wosery, Wm<br>Willingham, CHC<br>Willingham, Chas B<br>Willingham, Cornelius<br>Wood, Anthony<br>Wood, Wm<br>Williams, WA<br>White, Claudius<br>Wilson, Andrew D<br>Williams, Stephen D<br>Wyatt, Benjamin F<br>Word, Thos W<br>Young, Jas M, MD<br>Carroll, Georgia<br>Dobbs, Jno M<br>Green, AF<br>Head, Ro JD<br>Hamilton, D<br>Harrison, JH<br>Head, Jno D<br>Sellers, RL<br>McMullen, HS<br>Winn, Clayton<br>Waters, ML<br> *Whites Only<br>Taxed: POLL, COUNTY and STATE
 +
 
 +
Source: BCGS Quarterly, Winter 2011
 +
 
 +
<br><br>
  
[[Category:Georgia]] [[Category:Bartow_County]] [[Category:Societies]]
+
[[Category:Georgia]]

Revision as of 20:17, 2 May 2014

United States go to Georgia go to Archives and Librariesgo toBartow County Genealogical Society and Family Research Library

Contact Information

Address:   101 North Erwin Street Cartersville, Ga. 30120

Post Office Address: P.O. Box 993, Cartersville, Ga. 30120-0993

Facebook: Bartow County Genealogy Society

E-mail: genhelp2@att.net

Webpage: www.barctygen.org

Telephone: 770-606-0706

Library Hours: Monday-Wednesday-Friday 10:00 A.M. till 3:30 P.M.

Services: 3 computers, 2 scanners; family histories; microfilmed newspapers

Directions: From Atlanta, go north on Interstate 75 North to exit 288. Turn left on Ga.113 (Main St.) and proceed toward downtown. After passing Applebee's restaurant, turn right on Church St.; cross over highway 41, cross Tennessee St.; go over bridge,then turn right at the four-way stop. We are located in the Arts Center building on the right. Ample parking is available. A handicap entrance is available at the front of the building.

Membership: Open to any person regardless of residence, age, race, creed, or age who is interested in genealogy or the history of this area; dues are $20 per year and includes 4 quarterlies.

Meetings: Open to the general public and held at 2:00 P.M. on the first Sunday of each month at the Bartow County Family Research Library. If the first Sunday falls on a holiday weekend, the meeting is held the following Sunday. No December meeting!

Society History:

An organizational meeting was convened in January 1992 with the expressed purpose of forming the first genealogical society in Bartow County. Records indicate that 26 people attended the meeting held at the public library. Mrs. Rita Linker, county librarian, acted as host.

The Bartow County Genealogical Society was officially organized on January 22, 1992. The following officers were elected: Jean Belew, President; Linda Gossett Cochran, Vice-President; Martha Hale; Secretary; and Jerry Bohannon, Treasurer. The groundwork and goals developed by its charter members have served the Society well. Shortly after the organization, the Society began to sponsor a Family Research Library that now houses numerous genealogical records.

Society Goals:

  1. Create an interest in genealogical research and local history by presenting informative programs
  2. Promote the collection and preservation of family records, manuscripts, and other documents of genealogical value
  3. Encourage and acquaint the Society members with sources of material and serve as a medium for exchange of genealogical information
  4. Publish and distribute information on records that has been collected

Publications for Sale:

  • Bartow County Georgia Heritage Book, Volume I and II
  • Favorites From Our Table Cookbook
  • Bartow County Genealogical Society Quarterly,1992-2013

 History of Oak Grove Methodist Church (Summer 2003 quarterly)

Oak Grove Methodist Church was organized in October, 1871. The building was constructed from wood cut from the building site, which was donated by the late Levi Jolly. The church, situated on a knoll and surrounded by oak trees was given the name Oak Grove by one of its charter members, Mrs. Hayne Dodd. The first trustees were G.A. Fink, R.H. Dodd, William Brandon, J.C. Dodd and R.F. Jolly, Sr.

The church was first on the VanWert Circuit, which included some churches in Polk County, one of them being the Rockmart Church. In December 1887, Oak Grove was transferred to the Kingston Charge and so has remained. The other churches on the charge at the present time are Barnsley and Kingston. The Kingston Charge was in the Dalton District until July, 1962, when it was transferred to the Rome District.

The first pastor was the Rev. Joseph Carr. Several prominent ministers served the church in the early days. Oak Grove was the first pastorate of the Rev. Sam Jones. Others include the Rev. Gus Harris, father of the Rev. Pierce Harris, and the Rev. Edward Mackey.

Two members from the church have gone into the ministry. They are the Rev. Hubert Dodd and the Rev. Reynolds Groon, Sr. Both of them are retired at this writing.

The original building was completely destroyed on Marh 21, 1932 by a tornado which hit this section of Bartow County.

On the same site, and again using native material, a rock church was constructed during the summer months by members and friends in the community with the help of only one rock mason.The church was financed by contributions of the members and friends for the sum of $715.00, most of which was used for material. The furnishings were also donations. The old seats, which were left standing on the floor after the tornado, were used until one year later when new pews were bought with funds from a benefit barbecue. The altar rail is the only piece of furniture that was salvaged from the wreckage and pieced together so that it is in use today.

On September 18, 1932 the new church was dedicated. The Rev. W.A. Simmons, a former pastor, delivered the dedicatory sermon. A great crowd attended. A basket dinner was served at noon. A song service and informal talks in the afternoon concluded the program for the day. The pastor was the Rev. H.G. Garrett and the District Superintendent was the Rev. J.R. Turner. The Board of Stewards were Frank Jolly, C.W.Wade, Frank Brandon, Noel Jolly, R.L. Beardon and W.J. Fountain.

Since the new building was built, improvements have been made from time to time which include a red velvet kneeling pad, the addition of a steeple, painting the interior and exterior wood work, refinishing the floors, installing an accoustical tile ceiling, gas heat and most recently screens for windows and doors.

In the past several years additional gifts have been given to the church including hymn books and a bulletin board by the daughters of the late Mr. and Mrs. Dillard Sims. The bulletin board was erected in January 1965 and dedicated on Sunday, February 21, 1965. Dr. and Mrs. Hamilton S. Dixon gave a Hammond Spinet organ in November,1961.

Homecoming day was observed July 30, 1961. The Rev. Hubert Dodd, son of the late Sim and Irene Dodd, delivered the sermon. A large congregation was present. This was the first homecoming since the dedication of the new building in1932.

Oak Grove is one of the few Methodist churches which was established in Bartow County in the late 1800's which is still active. The present Board of Stewards and Trustees are Carl Dover, Frank Jolly, Neel Jolly, Odell Nally, E.L. Wade, Robert Jolly and C.W.Wade.

Many individuals and families by word and deed have helped to make its history. Although the membership is small, the Faith of our Fathers presents a challenge to the present and future members. In so doing Oak Grove Methodist Church will continue to advance the cause of Christ. For who can tell what will be accomplished through even a few, who are fully dedicated to Him. 

Written June 6, 1965; Church Records and History Committe: Mrs. R.F. Jolly, Mrs. Ray Worthington, and Miss Adys Jolly

Submitted to quarterly by Mimi Jo Butler of Jasper Ga.


Spring 2014 Quarterly

Table of Contents:

Welcome New Members

The Lost Trail Found

Sketch of Evangelist Sam Jones

Justices and Notaries Public for Allatoona

Justices and Notaries Public for Cartersville

Survey and Plat for Nancy Bailey

Bartow County Superior Court Criminal Docket, July 1896

Inventory and Appraisement of the Estate of Lucy Kerr

Cartersville News Genealogical Abstracts, 1913

The Good Old Days-1955

Historic Oothcalooga Baptist Church Burns

Old Macedonia Baptist Church Cemetery (Interments)

Inventory and Appraisement of the Property of John McMickle


Obituaries Abstracted from the Cartersville News,  October-December 1913
1. Rev. R.B. Headden
2. William P. Gaines
3. Miss Cochran
4. Mrs. Bailey of Cave
5. Mrs. Mattie Luther Boyd
6. Mrs. Martha Sheats
7. Aunt Sarah Brown [African Amrican]
8. Mrs. Caroline Lyons
9. James Ligon
10. Mr. M.H.Hood
11. Rev. Dr. John B. Robins
12. Mr. John L. Smith
13. Robert Stokes Sayres
14. Little Thomas Knight
15. Mrs. Ilie Fincher
16. Mr. J.C. Milam
17. Singleton McGuire
18. Rev. Elam Christian
19. W.P. Naves
20. Mrs. L.B. Matthews


List of Insolvent Tax Payers of Bartow County
Allowed by the County Commissioners for the year 1878
Cartersville District

Adams, Milligan
Arnold, Clements
Adair, Wm J
Anderson, WG
Akre Wooten
Barnett, George
Burdette Lindsay
Baker, Jesse L
Ballard, John
Baker, Emily R
Bozeman, Wm A
Brewster, Robert
Baldwin, Commodore P
Bowling, Willard
Burdette, Kennedy
Carroll, George
Crawford, John A March 16, 1896 Paid
Crawford, Alfred J
Caldwell, Melvin
Crawley, Henry C
Cain, John F
Cracken, John H
Dunn, Adam J (Canada)
Durham, Jacob
Davis, Wm
Felton, Adolphus J
Guthrie, William V
Hazlewood, B M
Hitchcock, Jno B
Holcombe, Benjamin
Howell, Wm
Hunt, James
Hilburn, John
Jones, John
Jolly, Jas W Paid
Jones, Elija A
Johnson Amos
Johnson, James M
Leachman, Colonel J
Lowman, Saul A
Lackey Jas M
Mackey, Albert L
McDonald Isaac
Mecklin, John L
Milam, Thos J.
Myers, Jno D
Morrison Albert F
McCrary, FM
McCart, Peter
Newton, Uriah
Nelson, Wm
Northerly, Henry
Pickens, Jno A
Powell, James Henry
Powlaski, Jno
Parker, AB
Pritchett, Joshua W
Perkins, Dave
Palmer, Henry
Padgette, Benj R
Roberts, Jas G
Ramey, Rice
Rainey, John
Reed, Robert
Reed, John
Rutledge, Wm
Rowland, Geo M
Starnes, WR
Stapp, Larkin S
Smith, Jno R S
Shaw, JP (overage)
Smith, NG
Straw, Adolphus
Smith, J Dickerson M.D.
Simmons, John
Show, Jno
Tompkins, Caleb
Toney, Matthias
Toney, Jesse
?Wosery, Wm
Willingham, CHC
Willingham, Chas B
Willingham, Cornelius
Wood, Anthony
Wood, Wm
Williams, WA
White, Claudius
Wilson, Andrew D
Williams, Stephen D
Wyatt, Benjamin F
Word, Thos W
Young, Jas M, MD
Carroll, Georgia
Dobbs, Jno M
Green, AF
Head, Ro JD
Hamilton, D
Harrison, JH
Head, Jno D
Sellers, RL
McMullen, HS
Winn, Clayton
Waters, ML
*Whites Only
Taxed: POLL, COUNTY and STATE

Source: BCGS Quarterly, Winter 2011