Bartow County Genealogical Society and Family Research LibraryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Address: 101 North Erwin Street Cartersville, Ga. 30120
Post Office Address: P.O. Box 993, Cartersville, Ga. 30120-0993
Facebook: Bartow County Genealogy Society
Library Hours: Monday-Wednesday-Friday 10:00 A.M. till 3:30 P.M.
Services: 3 computers, 2 scanners; family histories; microfilmed newspapers
Directions: From Atlanta, go north on Interstate 75 North to exit 288. Turn left on Ga.113 (Main St.) and proceed toward downtown. After passing Applebee's restaurant, turn right on Church St.; cross over highway 41, cross Tennessee St.; go over bridge,then turn right at the four-way stop. We are located in the Arts Center building on the right. Ample parking is available. A handicap entrance is available at the front of the building.
Membership: Open to any person regardless of residence, age, race, creed, or age who is interested in genealogy or the history of this area; dues are $20 per year and includes 4 quarterlies.
Meetings: Open to the general public and held at 2:00 P.M. on the first Sunday of each month at the Bartow County Family Research Library. If the first Sunday falls on a holiday weekend, the meeting is held the following Sunday. No December meeting!
An organizational meeting was convened in January 1992 with the expressed purpose of forming the first genealogical society in Bartow County. Records indicate that 26 people attended the meeting held at the public library. Mrs. Rita Linker, county librarian, acted as host.
The Bartow County Genealogical Society was officially organized on January 22, 1992. The following officers were elected: Jean Belew, President; Linda Gossett Cochran, Vice-President; Martha Hale; Secretary; and Jerry Bohannon, Treasurer. The groundwork and goals developed by its charter members have served the Society well. Shortly after the organization, the Society began to sponsor a Family Research Library that now houses numerous genealogical records.
- Create an interest in genealogical research and local history by presenting informative programs
- Promote the collection and preservation of family records, manuscripts, and other documents of genealogical value
- Encourage and acquaint the Society members with sources of material and serve as a medium for exchange of genealogical information
- Publish and distribute information on records that has been collected
Publications for Sale:
- Bartow County Georgia Heritage Book, Volume I and II
- Favorites From Our Table Cookbook
- Bartow County Genealogical Society Quarterly,1992-2013
History of Oak Grove Methodist Church (Summer 2003 quarterly)
Oak Grove Methodist Church was organized in October, 1871. The building was constructed from wood cut from the building site, which was donated by the late Levi Jolly. The church, situated on a knoll and surrounded by oak trees was given the name Oak Grove by one of its charter members, Mrs. Hayne Dodd. The first trustees were G.A. Fink, R.H. Dodd, William Brandon, J.C. Dodd and R.F. Jolly, Sr.
The church was first on the VanWert Circuit, which included some churches in Polk County, one of them being the Rockmart Church. In December 1887, Oak Grove was transferred to the Kingston Charge and so has remained. The other churches on the charge at the present time are Barnsley and Kingston. The Kingston Charge was in the Dalton District until July, 1962, when it was transferred to the Rome District.
The first pastor was the Rev. Joseph Carr. Several prominent ministers served the church in the early days. Oak Grove was the first pastorate of the Rev. Sam Jones. Others include the Rev. Gus Harris, father of the Rev. Pierce Harris, and the Rev. Edward Mackey.
Two members from the church have gone into the ministry. They are the Rev. Hubert Dodd and the Rev. Reynolds Groon, Sr. Both of them are retired at this writing.
The original building was completely destroyed on Marh 21, 1932 by a tornado which hit this section of Bartow County.
On the same site, and again using native material, a rock church was constructed during the summer months by members and friends in the community with the help of only one rock mason.The church was financed by contributions of the members and friends for the sum of $715.00, most of which was used for material. The furnishings were also donations. The old seats, which were left standing on the floor after the tornado, were used until one year later when new pews were bought with funds from a benefit barbecue. The altar rail is the only piece of furniture that was salvaged from the wreckage and pieced together so that it is in use today.
On September 18, 1932 the new church was dedicated. The Rev. W.A. Simmons, a former pastor, delivered the dedicatory sermon. A great crowd attended. A basket dinner was served at noon. A song service and informal talks in the afternoon concluded the program for the day. The pastor was the Rev. H.G. Garrett and the District Superintendent was the Rev. J.R. Turner. The Board of Stewards were Frank Jolly, C.W.Wade, Frank Brandon, Noel Jolly, R.L. Beardon and W.J. Fountain.
Since the new building was built, improvements have been made from time to time which include a red velvet kneeling pad, the addition of a steeple, painting the interior and exterior wood work, refinishing the floors, installing an accoustical tile ceiling, gas heat and most recently screens for windows and doors.
In the past several years additional gifts have been given to the church including hymn books and a bulletin board by the daughters of the late Mr. and Mrs. Dillard Sims. The bulletin board was erected in January 1965 and dedicated on Sunday, February 21, 1965. Dr. and Mrs. Hamilton S. Dixon gave a Hammond Spinet organ in November,1961.
Homecoming day was observed July 30, 1961. The Rev. Hubert Dodd, son of the late Sim and Irene Dodd, delivered the sermon. A large congregation was present. This was the first homecoming since the dedication of the new building in1932.
Oak Grove is one of the few Methodist churches which was established in Bartow County in the late 1800's which is still active. The present Board of Stewards and Trustees are Carl Dover, Frank Jolly, Neel Jolly, Odell Nally, E.L. Wade, Robert Jolly and C.W.Wade.
Many individuals and families by word and deed have helped to make its history. Although the membership is small, the Faith of our Fathers presents a challenge to the present and future members. In so doing Oak Grove Methodist Church will continue to advance the cause of Christ. For who can tell what will be accomplished through even a few, who are fully dedicated to Him.
Written June 6, 1965; Church Records and History Committe: Mrs. R.F. Jolly, Mrs. Ray Worthington, and Miss Adys Jolly
Submitted to quarterly by Mimi Jo Butler of Jasper Ga.
Spring 2014 Quarterly
Table of Contents:
Welcome New Members
The Lost Trail Found
Sketch of Evangelist Sam Jones
Justices and Notaries Public for Allatoona
Justices and Notaries Public for Cartersville
Survey and Plat for Nancy Bailey
Bartow County Superior Court Criminal Docket, July 1896
Inventory and Appraisement of the Estate of Lucy Kerr
Cartersville News Genealogical Abstracts, 1913
The Good Old Days-1955
Historic Oothcalooga Baptist Church Burns
Old Macedonia Baptist Church Cemetery (Interments)
Inventory and Appraisement of the Property of John McMickle
Obituaries Abstracted from the Cartersville News, October-December 1913
1. Rev. R.B. Headden
2. William P. Gaines
3. Miss Cochran
4. Mrs. Bailey of Cave
5. Mrs. Mattie Luther Boyd
6. Mrs. Martha Sheats
7. Aunt Sarah Brown [African Amrican]
8. Mrs. Caroline Lyons
9. James Ligon
10. Mr. M.H.Hood
11. Rev. Dr. John B. Robins
12. Mr. John L. Smith
13. Robert Stokes Sayres
14. Little Thomas Knight
15. Mrs. Ilie Fincher
16. Mr. J.C. Milam
17. Singleton McGuire
18. Rev. Elam Christian
19. W.P. Naves
20. Mrs. L.B. Matthews
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News