Bath County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Virginia county in the Shenandoah Valley region.
- 1890 Census
For a more detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Bath County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Bath County:
The Genealogy Center of the Allen County Public Library has a number of Bath County, Virginia cemetery databases on-line.
- Tombstone Transcription Project Bath County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Va., 1785 Enumeration. Troutville, Va.: Burton?, 1972. Available at FHL US/CAN Book and FHL US/CAN Film 928249 Item 2; digital version at Ancestry ($). [All or part of present-day county of Bath is included.]
1790 - Lost
1800 - Lost
- Crickard, Madeline W. 1810 Census of Bath County, Virginia. Beverly, W. Va.: Crickard, 1968?. Available at FHL US/CAN Access Services Window 6015642; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Bath County, Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2004. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website.
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
Grants and Patents
- Sims, Edgar Barr. Sims Index to Land Grants in West Virginia. [Springfield, Virginia]: Genealogical Books in Print, c1992. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.4 R22w 1992. [Includes Bath County, Virginia.]
- McAllister, Jean Graham. A Brief History of Bath County, Virginia. Staunton, Va.: McClure Co., 1920. Available at FHL US/CAN Film 1698153 Item 10; digital versions at Ancestry ($) and Google Books (full-view).
- McAllister, Joseph Thompson. Historical Sketches of Virginia Hot Springs, Warm Sulphur Springs and Bath County, Virginia. Salem, Va.: Salem Printing and Publishing Company, 1908. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Morton, Oren Frederic. Annals of Bath County, Virginia. Staunton, Va.: McClure Co., 1917. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.587 H2m and FHL US/CAN Film 1033746 Item 5; digital versions at Ancestry ($); Google Books (full-view); and World Vital Records ($).
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Bath County on page 134.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Bath County, p. 63.]
- Professor Tom Costa and The Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia have created a database of all runaway advertisements for slaves, indentured servants, transported convicts, and ship deserters listed in the Virginia Gazette and other Virginia newspapers (1736-1803), see: The Geography of Slavery in Virginia.
- Bath County News-Outlook - full text of more than 100 issues freely available via Google Newspaper Archive
- Eckenrode, H.J. Virginia State Library: A Calendar of Legislative Petitions Arranged by Counties Accomac - Bedford. Richmond, Va.: Davis Bottom, Superintendent of Public Printing, 1908. Digital version at Google Books (full-view). [Bath County petitions (1777-1863) are described on pp. 194-210.]
- Bruns, Jean R. Abstracts of the Wills and Inventories of Bath County, Virginia, 1791-1842. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1995. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.587 P28b; digital version at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Bath County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 4, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1960):128-131. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vg. Digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
-  Tax List, Delinquent, 1793, Bath County Heritage Newsletter, Issue 15 (Fall 1987).
-  "Bath County, Virginia, 1800 Tax List," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 7, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1963):21-28. FHL 975.5 B2vg; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL 975 E4w v. 5 [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Bath County is included in Vol. 5.]
- Fridley, Beth, comp. Bath County, Virginia Births: 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- ↑ "Bath County, Virginia," Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_County,_Virginia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ USGS Map, Topozone.com