Beaver Stake, Utah LDS Church Wards and BranchesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This page includes the boundaries of wards and branches around 1930's, a timeline history, and how to obtain the records.
Source for this page: Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941).
- Online through BYU Books. (Free) In the Text search box, type the town or unit name and click Go. Select page numbers (tiny) at the right to see the page.
- Also available through Ancestry.com ($).
Stake boundaries as of about 1930 per Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p. 52-53.
- Area of the County: Entire county.
- Headquarters in (town): Beaver
- Boundaries of stake: North by Millard county, on the east by Sevier and Piute counties, south by Iron county, and west by Nevada.
History Timeline up to about 1930
This timeline (arranged by year) includes events that affected records, record-keeping, and movements of Mormons in this area.
- 1856 - Settled by members mostly from Parawan, Utah.
- 1858 - Settlement augmented by members from San Bernardino, California
- 1869 - March 12. Beaver Stake organized.
Other History Resources
Many wards or branches appointed members to compile a history. Copies may be in the ward library or in homes of members. Some contain biographical sketches of members of the ward at the time of compilation.
Obtain the Records
- List of Template:FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBegBeaver+Stake church and other records] for Beaver Stake, Utah at the FamilySearch Library.
- For additional resources, see Church History Library.
Wards and Branches
|If Boundaries and History timeline are not filled in, use the page numbers for a ward to get the information from Jenson's.|
- Adamsville Ward, town of Adamsville and surrounding farming districts in Beaver County, Utah.
- The village is on the right bank of Beaver Creek 9 miles west of Beaver, 9 miles northeast of Minersville, and 23 miles northeast of Milford.
- 1862 - Settled by David B Adams and 3 other families.
- 1867 - About a dozen families arrived from the Sevier country due to Indian troubles there.
- 1868 - Meeting house built.
- 1869 - Beaver Stake was organized, with Beaver 3rd ward comprising the villages of Adamsville and Greenville.
- 1877 - Adamsville and Greenville wards created, and Beaver 3rd ward dissolved.
Beaver East and Beaver West Wards
- 1851 - January. Pioneers of Parowan, Utah passed through the valley. After that, most travelers from Salt Lake City passed through here to points south.
- 1851-1855 - Many settlers from Parowan and Cedar City desired to relocate here due to more plentiful water.
- 1856 - A few families were selected from the Parowan Mormon settlement to move to Beaver Valley.
- 1856 - February 10. The Beaver Creek Branch was organized.
- 1858 - A number of settlers came to Beaver Valley when the San Bernardino, California Mormon settlement was broken up.
- 1869 - March 12. Beaver was divided into two wards: Beaver 1st Ward (all of the town West of Telegraph Street) and Beaver 2nd Ward (all of the town East of Telegraph Street).
- 1891 - June 30. 1st and 2nd Wards were merged to make the Beaver Ward.
- 1905 - January 22. Beaver Ward was again divided into Beaver East and Beaver West wards. (Both were still in existence in 1941)
See Encyclopedic History..., p. 304 .
The village of Greenville is situated on a flat about a quarter of a mile north of Beaver Creek or half a mile northwest of where North Creek enters into Beaver Creek. Greenville is five miles southwest of Beaver, the county seat and the headquarters of the Beaver Stake, 27 miles southeast of Milford, the nearest railroad station, 36 miles north of Parowan, Iron Co., and 257 miles by the main traveled road southwest of Salt Lake City. The principal street of Greenville runs east and west.
- 1861 - Greenville (towm/village) was settled until 1861.
- 1869 - March 21, 1869, when Greenville (which hitherto, together with Adamsville, had constituted the “Third Ward”) was organized as a separate ward, called Greenville.
See Encyclopedic History..., p. 470 .
Manderfield Branch, Beaver Stake, Beaver Co., Utah, consists of a few families of Latter-day Saints living on their respective farms north of Beaver, most of them residing on or near the highway which leads from Beaver northward to Fillmore.
- 1865 - The trouble or skirmishes between Indians and the white settlers during the Black Hawk War in 1865–1867 took place on Indian Creek and not on North Creek as sometimes stated.
- 1914 - The Manderfield Branch came into existence by some families of saints having located on farms north of Beaver City.
- 1914 - The locality was originally known as Indian Creek, but when the branch was organized it was named Manderfield.
See Encyclopedic History..., p. 502-503 .
Milford Warad, Beaver Stake, Beaver Co., Utah, consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in Milford, a railroad town on the Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad, 31 1/2 miles northwest of Beaver, the headquarters of the Beaver Stake, and 227 miles southwest of Salt Lake City.
- The importance of Milford is due to the fact that it is the supply center for the mines in Beaver County.
- Milford is situated in the open desert valley, a short distance west of Beaver Creek.
- 1880 - May 15, 1880, the Utah Southern Railroad (now the Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad) was opened to Milford.
- 1880 - Milford became the shipping point for the whole southern country and the place soon grew to be quite a lively railroad town.
- 1880 - Among the people employed in and about the station were a number of Latter-day Saints who were organized into the Milford Ward Oct. 29, 1880.
See Encyclopedic History..., p. 512-513 .
The present site of Minersville was chosen for a townsite in preference to a location known as the Lower Beaver, which had been selected by some of the brethren from Cedar City, about seven miles below or northwest of the present Minersville.
- 1858 - Lead was discovered in the mountains northeast of where Minersville now stands in the fall of 1858.
- 1858 - Specimens of the ore were taken to Pres. Brigham Young in Salt Lake City, who called upon some of the brethren to open up the mines and locate a settlement near by.
- 1859 - Minersville was first settled in the spring of 1859 and the first meeting was held in June, 1859
- 1860 - April 7, 1860, Minersville was organized as a ward.
North Creek Branch
- ↑ Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p. 5-6 .
- ↑ Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p. 50-53 .
- ↑ Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p. 304 .
- ↑ Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p. 470 .
- ↑ Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p. 502-503 .
- ↑ Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p. 512-513 .
- ↑ Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p. 583 .
- ↑ Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941). p. 587 .