Bennington County, Vermont GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Bennington County Courthouse
207 South Street, Bennington, VT 05201-2247
Bennington County; 207 South St; Bennington, VT 05201; Ph. 802.447.2700 Details: (Twn Clks have b, m, d & bur rec; Co Clk has div rec from 1899 & ct rec form 1861; Pro Judge has pro rec) Towns Organized before 1800: Arlington 1761, Bennington 1749, Dorset 1761, Glastenbury 1761, Landgrove 1780, Manchester 1761, Peru 1761, Pownal 1760, Rupert 1761, Sandgate 1761, Shaftsbury 1761, Sunderland 1761, Winhall 1761 www.rootsweb.com/~vtbennin/index.html
Created 11 February 1779 from the Colonial lands. 
- Windham County was set off 22 February 1781.
Places / Localities
Archives and Libraries
Church History and Records
Land and Property
Military History and Records
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has North Adams, MA newspapers (1895-1977) covering local news that included Windham County residents.
There are two Bennington County Probate Districts
- Bennington District - Bennington, Glastenbury, Pownal, Readsboro, Searsburg, Shaftsbury, Stamford and Woodford.
- Manchester District - Arlington, Dorset, Landgrove, Manchester, Peru, Rupert, Sandgate, Sunderland and Winhall.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- The Bennington County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
|This Vermont-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.