Bergen City, Norway Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 74:||Line 74:|
== Censuses ==
== Censuses ==
Revision as of 01:44, 18 February 2011
Norway > Bergen/City/County (was a county from 1831 to 1972)
Bergen City was once a county, but the city is now part of Hordaland County. Bergen is the second-largest city in Norway, a municipality, and a former county, in the county of Hordaland.
The Norwegian city of Bergen was separated from Hordaland as a county of its own in 1831. It was established as a municipality January 1, 1838. The rural municipality of Bergen landdistrikt was merged with Bergen January 1, 1877. The rural municipality of Årstad was merged with Bergen July 1, 1915. The rural municipalities of Arna, Fana, Laksevåg and Åsane were merged with Bergen January 1, 1972. The city lost its status as a separate county the same date. Bergen was Norway's biggest city until the 1830s, when it was passed by Oslo.
History and Tidbits
The city of Bergen is located at the west coast of Norway. Bergen Municipal is one of the 33 municipals in Hordaland county. It has for almost one thousand years been the destination of travellers from all around the world. Bergen is the kingdom's second largest city, with over 250.000 inhabitants and situated on the west coast of Norway. The year of the foundation is estimated to be1070.
Familiy History Resources
Norwegian American Bygdelagenes Fellesraad
Parishes and congregations in Bergen City
- Census of citizens in Bergen 9 May 1714 (database version)
- 1714 Census for Bergen
- 1801 Census for 1301 Bergen
- 1815 Census for Bergen
- 1865 Census for 1301 Bergen
- 1875 Census for Bergen
- 1875 Census: Ships from Bergen sailing abroad
- 1885 Census for Bergen
- 1891 Census for Bergen
- 1900 Census for 1301 Bergen
The Norwegian Church (Den Norske Kirke) kept the vital statistics of the population. See Church Records for the contents and in-depth descriptions of the records. The links to the records available at the Family History Library are found in the individual parish under the Parishes and congregations in Bergen City Section.
The National Archival Services of Norway maintains a website, Digitalarkivet.uib.no, in which you can search in transcribed source material for free. Images of the original church books have also been placed there. The Digitised Parish Registers interface can be used in English, Norwegian (Bokmål), Norwegian (Nynorsk) or Samisk (Davvisámegiella). However, the records are written in Norwegian.
Later church records which not have been microfilmed by the Family History Library can be found at Digitalarkivet.
- Emigrantar over Bergen frå sørlandet
- Emigrantar fra Bergen 1874-1930
- Ship's lists Bergen-Quebec 1865-1873
- Ship's lists Bergen-New York 1871-1873
- 1680-1720 Clerical probate records for Bergen diocese which includes these districts and counties: Sunnhordland, Nordhordland, and Hardanger in Hordaland county; Bergen City; Sogn, Sunnfjord, and Nordfjord in Sogn og Fjordane county; and Sunnmøre in Møre og Romsdal county.
- 1716-1870 Probate records for Bergen city judicial district in Bergen city. The probate records usually contain the date of the probate, names of the deceased, names of the heirs, guardians and trustees, inventory lists, land and holdings, and other miscellaneous information.
Bergen city judicial district digitised probate records online at Digitalarkivet.
Return to Norway
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News