Berkshire County, Massachusetts GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States > Massachusetts > Berkshire County
showing location of Berkshire County.
- In 1997, the county governments of Essex, Berkshire, Hampden, Middlesex and Worcester were abolished.
- Their functions were turned over to state agencies.
- Sheriffs in these counties still administer jails but their employees are state employees.
- The legislation to abolish these county governments transferred Registeries of Deeds to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth and Suffolk county governments remain substantially unchanged.
Places / Localities
- Great Barrington
- Mount Washington
- New Ashford
- New Marlborough
- West Stockbridge
Franklin | Hampden | Hampshire | Litchfield County, Connecticut | New York counties: Columbia | Rensselaer | Bennington County, Vermont
Societies and Libraries
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).