Berkshire County, Massachusetts GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 06:36, 9 September 2008 by Dsammy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- In 1997, the county governments of Essex, Berkshire, Hampden, Middlesex and Worcester were abolished.
- Their functions were turned over to state agencies.
- Sheriffs in these counties still administer jails but their employees are state employees.
- The legislation to abolish these county governments transferred Registeries of Deeds to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth and Suffolk county governments remain substantially unchanged.
- Created 28 May 1760 from Hampshire County.
Places / Localities
- Cities: North Adams . Pittsfield
- Towns: Adams . Alford . Becket . Cheshire . Clarksburg . Dalton . Egremont . Florida . Great Barrington . Hancock . Hinsdale . Lanesborough . Lee . Lenox . Monterey . Mount Washington . New Ashford . New Marlborough . Otis . Peru . Richmond . Sandisfield . Savoy . Sheffield . Stockbridge . Tyringham . Washington . West Stockbridge . Williamstown . Windsor
- Communities: Adams . Great Barrington . Housatonic . Lee . Lenox . Williamstown
- Villages: East Otis . Lenox Dale
Societies and Libraries
- The Berkshire County MAGenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Berkshire County
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Berkshire County
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News