Berkshire County, MassachusettsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 16:19, 10 September 2008 by Standingve
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- In 1997, the county governments of Essex, Berkshire, Hampden, Middlesex and Worcester were abolished.
- Their functions were turned over to state agencies.
- Sheriffs in these counties still administer jails but their employees are state employees.
- The legislation to abolish these county governments transferred Registeries of Deeds to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth and Suffolk county governments remain substantially unchanged.
- Created 28 May 1760 from Hampshire County.
Places / Localities
- Cities: North Adams . Pittsfield
- Towns: Adams . Alford . Becket . Cheshire . Clarksburg . Dalton . Egremont . Florida . Great Barrington . Hancock . Hinsdale . Lanesborough . Lee . Lenox . Monterey . Mount Washington . New Ashford . New Marlborough . Otis . Peru . Richmond . Sandisfield . Savoy . Sheffield . Stockbridge . Tyringham . Washington . West Stockbridge . Williamstown . Windsor
- Communities: Adams . Great Barrington . Housatonic . Lee . Lenox . Williamstown
- Villages: East Otis . Lenox Dale
Societies and Libraries
- The Berkshire County MAGenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Berkshire County
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Berkshire County
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback