Bexar County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bexar County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bexar County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 17, 1836|
|County Seat||San Antonio|
County Clerk - Gerry Rickhoff
100 Dolorosa, Suite 108
San Antonio, TX 78205
County Clerk has birth records from 1838, marriage
records from 1837, death records from 1903,
probate records from 1843, land records from 1700’s,
Spanish church records 1737-1859 and Spanish City
Council minutes 1815-1820
Register and log in to search digital archives
1837-1963 HISTORICAL RECORDS
at this County Clerk website:
District Clerk - Margaret G. Montemayor
San Antonio, TX 78205
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bexar County, Texas. Page 659 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
*Texas Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel *Catholic Parishes in Texas ==== Court ==== ==== Land ==== After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
==== Local Histories ==== Local histories are available for Bexar County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories. *Museums List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors *History of the Alamo in Bexar County ~ Bexar County TXGenWeb *Historical Markers of Bexar County ~ Bexar County TXGenWeb ==== Maps ==== *1889 &1909 Maps of Bexar County ~ Bexar County TXGenWeb *Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors *Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site ==== Military ==== *Military Records of Bexar County ~ Bexar County TXGenWeb *Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors *Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors *Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors ==== Newspapers ==== Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Bexar County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a Bexar County, Texas Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search). *Wikipedia has a list of online newspaper archives for Texas. *Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has San Antonio newspapers from the late 1800's that covered local news on Bexar County residents. ==== Obituaries ==== *Obituaries of Bexar County, Texas ~ Partial Listing of Obituaries from Bexar County ~ Bexar County, TXGenWeb *Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors *USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas *Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources *Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations *Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors *Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function ==== Probate ==== Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records. *Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription) ==== Taxation ==== ==== Vital Records ==== Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas. *Records of Bexar County, Texas ~ Bexar County TXGenWeb ===== Births ===== ===== Marriages ===== *Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors *Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors ===== Deaths ===== *Texas Deaths, 1890-1976 (FamilySearch) - The name index was created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903 and in many counties prior to 1910. Fold3.com also has Texas Deaths, 1890-1976 ($) available online. *Texas Death Index, 1964-1998 (FamilySearch) - Index to Texas statewide death certificates covering 4 million deaths since 1964. == Societies and Libraries == ==== Public Libraries ==== Leon Valley Public Library
6425 Evers Rd
Leon Valley, TX 78238
Phone: (210) 684-0720
Website San Antonio Public Library
600 Soledad St[[|]]
San Antonio, TX 78205
Phone: (210) 207-2500
Website Universal City Public Library
100 Northview Dr
Universal City, TX 78148
Phone: (210) 659-7048
Website Converse Public Library
601 S Seguin Rd
Converse, TX 78109
Phone: (210) 659-4160
Website ==== Societies ==== :Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library
P.O. Box 1401
300 Alamo Plaza
San Antonio, Texas 78295-1401
Telephone: (210) 225-1071
Materials are in closed stacks. ==== San Antonio Genealogical and Historical Society Mailing address: P.O. Box 790087, San Antonio, TX 78279-0087 Library address: 911 Melissa Drive, San Antonio, TX 78213 Phone: (210) 342-5242
== Web Sites == *Bexar County TXGenWeb *TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county. *Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general. *Family History Library Catalog *Cyndi's List ~ Texas *Bexar County Genealogy (Texas Genealogy) == References ==
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ GenDisasters.com - San Antonio, Texas Fire, Feb 1892 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17958/san-antonio-tx-fire-feb-1892
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News