Birth marriage and death informtion for SaxonyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The records of the former Kirchenbuchamt Dresden, the church district Meißen, Flöha, and Stollberg have been filmed. For the former church district Dippoldiswalde the filming is in progress. For a detailed listing of parishes see the mega data list at Kirchenbuchportal.de or Kirchenbuchportal.findbuch.net. To accress actual records, contact:
für die Kirchenbezirke Bautzen, Dresden Mitte, Dresden Nord, Freiberg, Meißen-Großenhain, Kamenz, Löbau-Zittau and Pirna
Telefon: 0351 4923-346
Telefax: 0351 4923-348
Ansprechpartner: OKR Jörg am Rhein
For church records not yet filmed, contact the local parish in whose jurisdiction your ancestor resided.
Finding a birth/baptismal, marriage, death/burial in Evangelical church records
|My ancestor was born in....Where will I find a birth record?||
1. Check which parish was responsible for recording your ancestor's birth by verifying locations at online Historisches Ortsverzeichnis von Sachsen. Click on Orte (localities), enter your locality and check Nr. 7 of the menu (Kirchliche Organisation). This section will give you time frames telling you when a locality was part of a given parish.
2. Check out the holdings of each parish in GenWiki-E-Book
3. Check your parish against the listings in Kirchenbuchportal/findbuch.net. If you think your parish belongs to the church districts of Bautzen, Dresden city center, Dresden north, Freiberg, Meißen-Großenhain, Kamenz, Löbau-Zittau or Pirna write a request to the Regionalkirchenamt Dresden using the suggestions in the German Letter-writing-guide.
|My ancestor came from Saxony, however, I do not have a place.||
1. Check your US sources, i.e., church records, census, naturalization, ship list, probate etc.
2. Check name distribution map for Saxony to determine where your ancestor's name might appear.
|I cannot find a birth/baptismal, marriage record etc.||Contact expert|
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More