Bispham, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
See the Chapelries in Bispham Parish
Bispham All Hallows is an Ancient Parish known as the Mother Church of Blackpool.
The church is a Grade II Listed Building. It is the third church on the site and was built in 1883.
Until 1821 the parish church of Bispham was the only place of worship in Blackpool.
Other places in the parish include: Bispham with Norbeck, Southshore, Layton with Warbrick, Norbreck.
The earliest reference to the church dates from the reign of Richard I of England, when Theobold Walter passed on his rights to the churches of Poulton-le-Fylde and Bispham to St Mary’s of Lancaster. Another reference in 1345, from the records of the Archdiocese of Richmond, tells of the lamentable state of disrepair of both the church of Poulton and the chapel of Bispham, implying that Bispham was a chapel annexed to the parish of Poulton.
In 1351, in the aftermath of the Black Death, the Archdeacon made a visit to ascertain whether the chapel had sufficient parishioners to make it viable as a place of worship, and also enquired of St Mary’s of Lancaster by what right they held the claim to Bispham. The Archdeacon was evidently persuaded not to sell off the chapelery and its lands.
The first mention of Blackpool is found in the Register of Bispham Parish Church in 1602 in which is recorded the Christinary on 22 September of that year of a child belonging to a couple who reside on the bank of the Black Pool.
Eighteenth century records show that there existed a church of red sandstone, with a double-gable roof, supported by oaken pillars, laid down in the centre of the nave. There was a separate chancel, black oak pews in the nave, with three lancet windows in the East end and a low tower at the West.
In 1773, the pillars were deemed unsafe and removed and the building heightened, but by the middle of the nineteenth century, the church was in danger of collapse, and in 1883 had to be demolished. A new church of limestone was built on the same site
The churchyard contains the tombs of many shipwreck victims, including the captain and crew of the brig Favourite, which sank off Blackpool in 1865, and passengers from the Ocean Monarch, which caught fire in the Irish Sea in 1848. Also commemorated in the churchyard is the actress Violet Carson, who lived in Bispham and who died in 1983 and gained fame between 1960 and 1980 for her portrayal of Ena Sharples in television soap opera Coronation Street.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"BISPHAM, a parish, in the union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster; comprising the townships of Bispham with Norbreck, and Layton with Warbreck; and containing 2339 inhabitants, of whom 371 are in Bispham with Norbreck, 3 miles west by northwest of Poulton. The parish includes the chapelry...of Blackpool, and part of South-Shore. At both Great and Little Bispham are places of worship for Independents."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
There is much online content for Bispham All Hallows Parish and its attached churches, called chapelries, including baptisms, marriages and some burials. These records include vital content from the following chapels and the (All Hallows) parish:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|JOIN = Joiner's Marriage Index|
|BISPHAM ALL HALLOWS PARISH (1599) Indexes|
|BLACKPOOL ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST Chapelry (1821) Indexes|
|LOPC||1821-1890||1836-1900 w/ banns||1821-1898|
|BLACKPOOL CHRIST CHURCH Chapelry (1865) Indexes|
|SOUTH SHORE HOLY TRINITY Chapelry (1836) Indexes|
|See also Lytham Parish (& chapelries) - after 1740|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306886.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- ↑ A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 267-270. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50804 Adapted. Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News