Blackrod, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Blackrod St Katherine is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1730 from chapelry in Bolton le Moors St Peter, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
A church is the earliest recorded building in 1338, dedicated to St. Katherine (spelling first documented) and of Norman design. A lot of the Elizabethan work can still be seen, but the parish church was enlarged in 1776, galleries added in 1837, the roof renewed in 1894, the chancel rebuilt in 1905 and nave in 1911. During this time the spelling has changed to Catherine, and now the current Katharine. There are six bells in the west tower, cast in 1776, renewed in 1922, and the clock was illuminated in 1947.
The name Blackrod derives from the Old English, blaec and rodu, meaning a "dark clearing". The first mention of the town dates to 1189, when it was recorded as Blacherode. It has been suggested that "rod" may also mean Holy Rood (Cross of Christ).
The main industry of the town was coal mining, agriculture and a weaving mill (built in 1906), but today only a few farms remain with the pits all closed. Today it is mainly a residential area, but still retains a Town Mayor and Town Council.
"BLACKROD, a chapelry [as of 1606], in the parish of Bolton, union of Wigan, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles south by southeast of Chorley. The chapel, dedicated to St. Catherine. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Church of England
Blackrod chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Bolton le Moors St Peter to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|BLACKROD ST KATHERINE Chapelry (1592) Indexes|
|FS||1606-1860||1601-1633; 1702-1754||1818-1840, 1855-1863|
|LOPC||1606-1863||1613-1754 - part.||1818-1863|
|BOLTON Le MOORS ST PETER PARISH (1573) Indexes (ancient parish containing BLACKROD Chapelry)|
|LOPC||1573-1660||1573-1660; 1813-1938||1573-1660; 1712-1733; 1765-1801|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Blackrod and comprising the whole ancient parish of Bolton le Moors to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the BOLTON Le MOORS ST PETER PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306921.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- ↑ A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 270-275. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50805 Adapted. Date accessed: 25 June 2010.