Bleckley County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bleckley County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bleckley County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||July 30, 1912|
|Address|| Bleckley County Courthouse|
306 2nd St SE
Cochran, GA 31014-1633
Bleckley County Website
Bleckley County Georgia Courthouse
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate,
court and land records
Bleckley County Georgia History
Bleckley County Georgia Places/Localities
Bleckley County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- 1871-1885 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Cochran, Baptism Index 1871-1885. Batch C712191 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1895 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Cochran, Marriage Index 1871-1895. Batch M712191 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Bleckley County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Bleckley County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Bleckley County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
Bleckley County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Bleckley County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Bleckley County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Bleckley County Georgia Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bleckley County, Georgia. Page 151 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News