BlogsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A blog is just a specialized web page (in fact, the name 'Blog' is short for 'WeB log'). A Blog is usually focused on a particular topic and consists of a series of posts that are (typically) short in nature and organized by topics. The newest post is displayed first, and older posts are archived (but still searchable and viewable). What makes a Blog different from an ordinary web page is that the reader can add comments to posts they have read.
For a more in-depth exlanation see this Blog Overview page.
Popular Blogging Software
Free, provided (and hosted) by Google.
Free open-sourse website development (& blogging) software. Can create a site for free at Wordpress.com or install on your own server (or a web hosting service).
Useful links include:
- About Wordpress - overview of the services & features
- Wordpress for Beginners -- resources to help you get started
- Wordpress Theme Directory - browse over 1,300 freely available themes to apply to your Wordpress site (for self-hosted installations only)
- Wordpress Plugin Directory -- need enhanced functionality? There's a plugin out there for you!
- Wordpress Support - online forums for help
- Wordpress For Dummies Cheat Sheet
- Wordpress.tv - educational online videos providing information about Wordpress and the varied ways you can use it.
Related pages on Family Search
Return to Genealogical Society Webmasters
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback