Blount County, AlabamaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Alabama-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Blount County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
Blount County Courthouse
220 Second Avenue East,
Oneonta, AL 35121
County Archivist has probate records from 1824,
marriage, land and burial records from 1820.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records.
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Alabama Minorities has information specific to Alabama African Americans.
Biographies of many notable residents of Blount County, Alabama were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 499.
- Antioch Methodist Cemetery
- Center Hill Cemetery
- Clear Springs Cemetery
- Ebell Cemetery
- Huffsutler Cemetery
- Lee's Chapel Cemetery
- Marsh Cemetery
- Old Mount Moriah Cemetery
- Philadelphia Cemetery
- Pine Bluff Missionary Baptist Cemetery
- Pleasant Grove Cemetery
- Remlap Methodist Cemetery
- Sargent Cemetery
- Tidwell Cemetery
- Cemetery Records of Blount County, Alabama, Vol. 1. 1965. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes Antioch Baptist Church Cemetery, Alldredge Cemetery, Amos Cemetery, Antioch Methodist Church Cemetery, Austin Creek Cemetery, Bangor Cemetery, Bethel Cemetery, Bethleham Methodist Church Cemetery, Blue Springs Cemetery, Brooksville Cemetery, Central Hill Church Cemetery, Church of Christ Cemetery, Clear Springs Methodist Church Cemetery, Clements Cemetery, Cleveland Cemetery, County Line Cemetery, Dailey's Chapel Cemetery, Easley Church Cemetery, Ebenezer Church Cemetery, Ebenezer Methodist Church Cemetery, Edgewood Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, Elvester Baptist Church Cemetery, First Methodist Church Cemetery, Fosters Chapel Cemetery, Gibbs Chapel Cemetery, Gilbreath (Cox) Cemetery, Graves Cemetery, and Graves Gap Cemetery.
- Cemetery Records of Blount County, Alabama, Vol. 2. 1965. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes Greens Chapel Cemetery, Harmony Baptist Church Cemetery, Hayden Cemetery, Hays Cemetery, Highmound Baptist Church Cemetery, High Rock Methodist Church Cemetery, Hood Cemetery, Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, Hopewell Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery, Hudson Cemetery, Lebonan Methodist Church Cemetery, Lee's Chapel Methodist Church Cemetery, Liberty Hill Baptist Church Cemetery, Love Chapel Cemetery, Macedonia Cemetery, Merrill Cemetery, Mt. Carmel Baptist Church Cemetery, Mt. Carmel Methodist Church Cemetery, Mt. Hebron Cemetery, Mt. New Hope Cemetery, Mt. Tabor Cemetery, Mt. Zion Nazarene Cemetery, Mulberry Cemetery, Nectar Congregational Methodist Church Cemetery, Oak Grove Cemetery, Oak Grove Baptist Church Cemetery, Oak Hill Cemetery, and Old Liberty Cemetery.
- Cemetery Records of Blount County, Alabama, Vol. 3. 1966. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes Philadelphia Church Cemetery, Phillips Cemetery, Pine Bluff Cemetery, Pleasant Mount Baptist Church Cemetery, Pleasant Grove Cemetery, Remlap Methodist Church Cemetery, Ricetown Chapel Cemetery, Rock Springs Methodist Church Cemetery, Roswell Creek Baptist Church Cemetery, Salem Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery, Shiloh Cemetery, South Cemetery, Sugar Creek Church of Christ Cemetery, Sulphur Springs Baptist Church Cemetery, Summitt Cemetery, Stewarts Chapel Methodist Church Cemetery, Tidwell Cemetery, Tidwell Cemetery, Union Grove (Clay) Church Cemetery, Union Grove Baptist Church Cemetery, Wynnville Cemetery, and Zion Hill Cemetery.
Additional Blount County cemeteries are included in Alabama Cemetery Records Vol. 6 at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
For tips on accessing Blount County, Alabama census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960|
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Blount County, Alabama see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Blount County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2007. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.172 E7b.
- Northern Alabama, Historical and Biographical. Birmingham, Ala.: Smith and De Land, 1888. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Blount County, Alabama begins on page 108.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Locust Fork Alabama Family History Center
- Locust Fork, Alabama
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Blount County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Blount County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 35.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More