Bodfari, Denbighshire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
m
(5 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[Wales]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]][[Denbighshire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]Bodfari  
 
[[Wales]][[Image:Gotoarrow.png]][[Denbighshire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]Bodfari  
  
'''Bodfari''' is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish on the banks of the Afon Chwiler in [[Denbighshire]], [[Wales]].  
+
'''Bodfari''' is a village, [[Communities in Wales|community]] and ecclesiastical parish on the banks of the Afon Chwiler in [[Denbighshire]], [[Wales]].  
  
 
Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Flintshire and, between 1874 and 1996 in the county of Clwyd. In 1996 it became part of the modern county of Denbighshire.  
 
Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Flintshire and, between 1874 and 1996 in the county of Clwyd. In 1996 it became part of the modern county of Denbighshire.  
Line 9: Line 9:
 
=== History  ===
 
=== History  ===
  
In 1834: "This place is, from its name, supposed to have been the Roman station Varis, and the opinion has been in some degree confirmed by the recent discovery of urns, ornaments, fragments of weapons, and other relics of Roman antiquity, in the grounds of Pontrifith, and some coins near the junctions of the rivers Clwyd and Whielor, the supposed site of the Roman station." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, S. Lewis, 1834].
+
"BODVARI (BOD-FARI), a parish partly in the Caerwys division of the hundred of Rhuddlan, county of Flint, and comprising the township of Aber-Whielor, whith support its own poor, in the hundred of Rhuthin, county of Denbigh, 4 miles (N.E.) from Denbigh, on the road from Holywell to that town, and containing 873 inhabitants. This place is, from its name, supposed to have been the Roman station Varis, and the opinion has been in some degree confirmed by the recent discovery of urns, ornaments, fragments of weapons, and other relics of Roman antiquity, in the grounds of Pontrifith, and some coins near the junctions of the rivers Clwyd and Whielor, the supposed site of the Roman station. ... The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, and situated on a gentle eminence, is a neat edifice with a lofty square embattled tower. " [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]  
  
For more information on Bodfari see:[http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Bodfari/index.html Genuki - Bodfari]  
+
For more information on Bodfari see: [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Bodfari/index.html Genuki - Bodfari]
  
 
=== Administration  ===
 
=== Administration  ===
Line 35: Line 35:
  
 
==== Church Records  ====
 
==== Church Records  ====
 +
 +
==== Church Records (Nonconformist) ====
 +
 +
The following records have been published:
 +
 +
*Waun Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Aberchwiler - Baptisms (1812-1837): {{IGI|C098381}}
  
 
==== Census Records  ====
 
==== Census Records  ====
  
==== Probate Records ====
+
{{British Census|464325}}
 +
 
 +
==== Probate Records ====
  
 
=== Maps and Gazetteers  ===
 
=== Maps and Gazetteers  ===
Line 46: Line 54:
 
=== Web Sites  ===
 
=== Web Sites  ===
  
[[Category:Denbighshire]] [[Category:Historic_Flintshire_Parishes]]
+
[[Category:Denbighshire]] [[Category:Parishes of Historic Flintshire]]

Revision as of 14:11, 17 August 2013

WalesGotoarrow.pngDenbighshire Gotoarrow.pngBodfari

Bodfari is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish on the banks of the Afon Chwiler in Denbighshire, Wales.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Flintshire and, between 1874 and 1996 in the county of Clwyd. In 1996 it became part of the modern county of Denbighshire.

The ecclesiastical parish contains the townships of Bodfari, in historic Flintshire, and Aberwheeler (Welsh: Aberchwiler), in historic Denbighshire.

Contents

History

"BODVARI (BOD-FARI), a parish partly in the Caerwys division of the hundred of Rhuddlan, county of Flint, and comprising the township of Aber-Whielor, whith support its own poor, in the hundred of Rhuthin, county of Denbigh, 4 miles (N.E.) from Denbigh, on the road from Holywell to that town, and containing 873 inhabitants. This place is, from its name, supposed to have been the Roman station Varis, and the opinion has been in some degree confirmed by the recent discovery of urns, ornaments, fragments of weapons, and other relics of Roman antiquity, in the grounds of Pontrifith, and some coins near the junctions of the rivers Clwyd and Whielor, the supposed site of the Roman station. ... The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, and situated on a gentle eminence, is a neat edifice with a lofty square embattled tower. " [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]

For more information on Bodfari see: Genuki - Bodfari

Administration

Years County
1536 - 31 March 1974 Flintshire & Denbighshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Denbighshire

Records

Civil Registration

Church Records

Church Records (Nonconformist)

The following records have been published:

  • Waun Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Aberchwiler - Baptisms (1812-1837): C098381

Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464325.


Probate Records

Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites