Bolton le Sands, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
BOLTON-LE-SANDS (St. Michael), a parish[]d (1848), pp. 295-302.
Bolton le Sands St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.The church was formerly in the Diocese of Chester, Manchester (1847-1926).
Other places in the parish include: Hest, Nether Kellet, Stapleton Farm, Slyne, Slyne with Hest, and Nether Kellett.
Referred to as Bodeltone in the Domesday book, the village was known as Bolton until the arrival of the railways, when the name was changed to Bolton-le-Sands to differentiate from similarly named towns on the same line, such as Bolton which was then a part of Lancashire and called Bolton-le-Moors.
The oldest church in the village, founded prior to 1094, is the Church of England Holy Trinity church, originally dedicated to St Michael. The oldest part of the current building is the tower, supposed to have been built around 1500. The nave and chancel date from the 19th century. The other churches are the Roman Catholic St Mary of the Angels and the Christ Church United Reformed Church.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"BOLTON-LE-SANDS St Michael, a parish, in the hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, is 4 miles north of Lancaster.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News