Bootle St Mary, Lancashire Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
== Chapelry History ==
== Chapelry History ==
The from the a . was as the in . the been as . The , and are in the .
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 302-305. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50812
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 302-305. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50812 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
== Resources ==
== Resources ==
Revision as of 14:16, 14 December 2010
The name Bootle derives from the Anglo Saxon Bold or Botle meaning a dwelling. It was recorded as Boltelai in the Domesday Book in 1086. By 1212 the spelling had been recorded as Botle. The spellings Botull, Bothull and Bothell are recorded in the 14th century.
Bootle was originally a small hamlet built near the 'sand hills' or dunes of the river estuary. The settlement began to grow as a bathing resort for wealthy residents of Liverpool in the early 19th century. Some remaining large villas which housed well-to-do commuters to Liverpool are located in the area known locally as 'Bootle Village'.Bootle is a town within the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton in England, and a 'Post town' in the L postcode area. It is close to Liverpool, but has never been a part of Liverpool. It is 4 miles (6.4 km) to the north of Liverpool city centre.
Bootle St Mary was a chapelry of Walton_on_the_Hill_St_Mary,_Lancashire Ancient Parish in Lancashire.The church was founded in 1827 and after wartime bombing the church was demolished.
BOOTLE with Linacre,[St Mary; built in 1820] a township and chapelry, in the parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N.) from Liverpool; containing in 1846 about 4090 inhabitants. Four thanes at the time of the Domesday survey held "Boltelai" as four manors. Afterwards the district belonged to Warin Bussel, whose daughter married Roger Fitz-Richard; and the son of the latter, Richard Fitz-Roger, founder of Lytham, left four coheiresses, through whom the lands passed into as many families. The manor subsequently was held by the Mores, and from them was purchased by the Stanleys. At this place are some works for supplying the town of Liverpool with water, from a spring which formerly discharged itself at Bootle bay, on the coast, after turning a mill within half a mile of its source. The project of bringing the water to Liverpool was suggested so early as the 8th year of Queen Anne, when Sir Cleave More, the second baronet, obtained a private act of parliament for the purpose. Anciently there were paperworks and flour-mills at Bootle; the latter were destroyed by fire some years ago. The township is beautifully situated on the shores of the Mersey, at its mouth; and comprises 837 acres of land, the property of the Earl of Derby. The soil is light and good, resting on a substratum of red sandstone, which is used for building; the beach is firm, of great extent, and much resorted to for bathing, and horse exercise. The village is well built; there are numerous elegant villas, and ranges of houses inhabited by the merchants of Liverpool, and some excellent hotels and lodging-houses with every accommodation for visiters. The expansive views of the sea, the Cheshire coast, mountains of Wales, &c., are highly attractive in this quarter. Bootle Hall is the seat of William Mc Cormick, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of W. S. Miller, Esq.; net income, £250. Rent-charges amounting to £235 have been awarded as commutations for the tithes. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was built in 1820, and was enlarged and a tower added in 1847; it is a cruciform structure, with a neat interior. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Baptists; and a Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. James, has been just built at a cost of £3500: it is in the early English style, with a square tower and a spire; and schools and a house for the priest are attached.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 302-305. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50812 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News