Box Elder County, Utah GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent counties|
|Box Elder County, Utah|
Location in the state of Utah
Location of Utah in the U.S.
|Founded||January 5, 1856|
|County Seat||Brigham City|
|Address||County Courthouse<br>1 South Main St.<br>Brigham City, UT 84302|
| Named for: the many box elder trees in the area, Latin: Acer_negundo
Cite error: Invalid
County Court House
Box Elder County Courthouse
1 South Main Street
Brigham City, Utah 84302
County Clerk has birth and death records 1898-1905, marriage records from 1887, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1856.
|Before the county was created—and perhaps until the newly-formed county was fully operational—search records of the parent counties.|
Neighboring CountiesBox Elder County, Utah Genealogy is surrounded by: Tooele | Davis | Weber | Cache | Idaho counties: Cassia | Oneida; Nevada county: Elko
- History of Box Elder County 
- Box Elder County, Utah newspaper card index historical, biographical, vital records
- Biographies(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Business Records and Commerce
- Business records and commerce(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
List of Box Elder County, Utah Cemeteries that exist or in some cases no longer exist.
- Box Elder County Cemeteries at the Utah State Historical site
- Cemetery records(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
- USGenWeb Archives Box Elder County, Utah provides names in Plymouth Cemetery and Woodmen of the World of Box Elder County.
- The city of Howell Utah has a very nice cemetery it is on the main road that leads to the Howell church from highway 83. It is on the South side of the road and is easy to find.
- There is an other cemetery in Howell we call it the baby cemetery it is on the road the leads to the head of the creek. It is about two hundred yards North of where Rex Nesson lives and is about one hundred yards east of the road. This cemetery is quite old and there are about six graves there.
- Tremonton has a large cemetery in town. A large cemetery there is the Riverview Cemetery, while a smaller one just outside of town is the Salt Creek Cemetery.
The 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 U.S. federal population schedules of Box Elder County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Utah Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in national indexes, try checking local indexes. Created by experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than nationwide indexes. See Utah Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- Censuses(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
Churches and Religious Groups
Churches and religious groups records are usually found in the towns rather than on the county level. However histories of churches on the county level are listed in the Family History Library Catalog. Early church records, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for Box Elder County Wards and Branches can also be found by refering to Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507). These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
- Church Records(microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see public libraries.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons)
Click a church unit name in the chart below for its history, boundaries, and availability of records, which are often in microfilm format
- (Section In process. Want to help?)
|Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy guide to history and records of LDS wards and branches|
Ethnic and Other Groups
NOTE: Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Wikipedia for Box Elder County.
Wiki articles describing online collection are found at:
For historical maps of Utah and Box Elder County, see:
Early migration routes to and from Box Elder County, Utah Genealogy for emigrant settlers included: :
Naturalization and Citizenship
Small town newspapers contain obituaries, birth or death notices, community news (such as the visit of someone's relatives), legal notices and provide historical content. See Utah newspapers for tips, resources, and details. Resources include:
Obituaries may mention birth, marriage, spouse, parents, and living family members. See Utah Obituaries for state level compendiums and United States Obituaries for tips and insights regarding this record type.
Obituaries for residents may be found in:
Officials and Employees
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.
In Utah, such records may be difficult to find. Try records of the church they may have attended. Realize, however, that such records may have not been preserved, and would not be in the typical records of membership.
It is possible there were records kept by civilian authorities. Ask town or county officials and local librarians and the State Archives. Also try National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (online).
CourthousesAddress: 1 South Main St, Brigham City, UT 84302
Phone (Brigham City): 435-734-3300
Phone (Tremonton): 435-257-5810
Hours: 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday
Template:RAOGKcourthouse Box Elder County Home Page History of the Box Elder County Courthouse
Family History Centers
Brigham City Museum
Bear River City DUP Museum
search parent counties
1856 - 1897
Wiki articles describing marriage a collection is found at:
Death Record Substitutes
Towns and Communities
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News