Braxton County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Braxton County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
Braxton County Courthouse
300 Main Street
P O Box 486
Sutton, WV 26601
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death indexes 1853-1886
Probate and Land Records
Clerk Circuit Court has Divorce and Court Records
See an interactive map of Braxton County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
USGENWEB Archives Project Cemtery Listing
Braxton County Tombstone Transcription Braxton County
Find a Grave - Braxton County, West Virginia
USGENWEB Archives Project Obituaries
Obituaries Braxton County, West Virginia
Political Graveyard Braxton County, West Virginia
West Virginia Cemetery Preservation Association
Miscellaneous Braxton County, West Virginia Obituaries
For tips on accessing Braxton County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Braxton County on page 134.]
Regiments. Service men in Braxton County, West Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Braxton County, West Virginia:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company B.
- - 9th Battalion, Virginia Infantry (Hansbrough's) (Confederate). Company B (Capt. William H. Mollohan's Company) and Company C (Braxton Blues).
- - 14th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company L and Company M (Braxton Dragoons).
- - 19th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company B (Braxton County Volunteers).
- - 36th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company B.
- - 60th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (3rd Regiment, Wise Legion) (Confederate). Company F (The James River Rifles).
- - 62nd Regiment, Virginia Mounted Infantry (Confederate). Company G.
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Braxton County, West Virginia Wills 1835-1959
West Virginia Will Books
West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Braxton County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- First Families of Braxton County Families
- Braxton County, WV Biographies
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Braxton County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Richard L. Armstrong, 25th Virginia Infantry and 9th Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1990). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 71.
- ↑ Robert J. Driver, 14th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 47.
- ↑ Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- ↑ J.L. Scott, 36th and 37th Battalions Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 24.
- ↑ J.L. Scott, 60th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1997). FHL book 975.5 M2vr v. 130.
- ↑ Roger U. Delauter, 62nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 41.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More