Breckenridge County, Kansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Breckenridge County's name was changed to Lyon County 5 Feb 1862. Clerk District Court has marriage records from 1861, divorce records from 1860, probate records from 1859 and court records from 1858. Register of Deeds has land records from 1856. City Clerk has birth and death records. 
Breckenridge County was created by the first territorial legislature in 1855 and named for John C. Breckenridge, who was the next year elected vice-president of the United States. When first created it was attached to Madison county for all civil and judicial purposes, but by the act of Feb. 17, 1857, the county was fully organized "with all the rights, powers and privileges of other organized counties of the territory; and the county seat of Breckenridge is hereby temporarily located at Agnes city," etc. The act of Feb. 27, 1860, provided for the location of a permanent county seat by vote of the electors of the county.
As originally established, the county was 24 miles square, lying immediately south of Richardson (now Wabaunsee) county, but by the act of Jan. 31, 1861, the southern boundary was moved southward to the line between townships 21 and 22 south. On Feb. 5, 1862, the governor approved an act changing the name of Breckenridge to Lyon county.
1857--Lyon County was created 17 February 1857 as an original county. County seat: Emporia 
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/county.html
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lyon County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lyon County, Kansas page 253, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News