Brewster County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Brewster County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Brewster County Courthouse
201 W Ave East
Alpine, TX 79830
County Clerk has birth, probate, military, and court records from 1900,
marriage records from 1887, death records from 1903 and land records
from 1800: District Court has divorce records
South Carolina, where he studied and began the practice of law. In 1849 he was appointed attorney general by Governor George T. Wood.
Places / Localities
- Look-Up Volunteers of Brewster County ~ Brewster County, TXGenWeb
- Cemeteries of Brewster County~Brewster County, TXGenWeb~ Complete List
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Elm Grove Cemetery - Hidden Ancestors ~ transcription and photographs
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Churches of Brewster County Complete list of churches~Brewster County, TXGenWeb
- Texas Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in Texas
Local histories are available for Brewster County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Mirages, Mysteries and Reality: Brewster County, Texas, the Big Bend of the Rio Grande, 1972, by Clifford B. Casey.
- A Most Singular Country: A History of Occupation in the Big Bend, 1990, by Arthur R. Gomez.
- Brewster County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Brewster County 1920 Texas General Land Office map, online from The Portal to Texas History
- Brewster County 1939 Texas General Land Office map, online from The Portal to Texas History
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Military Veterans of Brewster County~ sorted by Cemetery~ Brewster County, TXGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Brewster County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Alpine Avalanche Newspaper, serving Big Bend and the Davis Mountains since 1891
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituaries of Brewster County ~Brewster County, TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Land Title Abstracts ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Vital Records of Brewster County ~ Marriage Records 1966-2002, Death Records 1910-2008, Divorce Records 1968-1996, Births 1904-1934
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Alpine Public Library
203 N 7th St
Alpine, TX 79830
Phone: (432) 837-2621
- Big Bend Genealogical Society, Brewster, Jeff Davis and Presidio Counties
- Museum of the Big Bend, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas
- Brewster County Historical Commission
- Brewster County Texas Old Photos Old photographs and postcards of people and places in Alpine and other parts of Brewster County.
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Brewster County, Texas. Page 659 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
Brewster County; 201 W Ave E; Alpine, TX 79830; Ph. 915.837.3366 Details: (Co Clk has b, pro, mil & ct rec from 1900, m rec from 1887, d rec from 1903 & land rec from 1800: Dis Ct has div rec)
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News