Brigham City Utah Family History Center
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Added classes to Center Services)
(updted info about online film ordering)
|Line 121:||Line 121:|
==== Microfilm Ordering ====
==== Microfilm Ordering ====
Microfilm can be ordered online. Go [https://www.familysearch.org/films/
Microfilm can be ordered online. Go [https://www.familysearch.org/films/ ]. Sign in with your LDS Account. To view the films at the Center, select Brigham City Utah Family History Center as your “favorite” family history center. It will remain as your default family history center. Short term loans must be returned within 90 days. A 60-day renewal option is available when your short-term order expires. The current price for each film order or renewal is $5.50. Films ordered as extended loan will remain at the Center indefinitely. The current price of an extended film loan is $13.75. Microfiche are sent as a collection rather than as individual sheets. The current price is $4.75. Payment is made using Visa or Mastercard credit/debit card or PayPal. You will be notified by email when your film has arrived at the Center. <br>
==== Classes ====
==== Classes ====
Revision as of 20:25, 16 October 2011
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Brigham City Utah Family History Center is located in the lower level of the meetinghouse which it shares with the Brigham City 7th and River Wards. We serve the southern part of Box Elder County including the communities of Brigham City, Mantua, Honeyville, Bear River City, Corinne, Perry, and Willard. We have about 80 volunteers who are trained to assist patrons. Anyone interested in genealogy and family history is invited to come to the Center for assistance, to research, or to attend one of our classes.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 531 North 100 West, Brigham City, Utah 84302
- Enter on the west side of the building down the ramp on the left of the satellite dish. Please ring bell for admission.
- Map showing Brigham City Utah Family History Center
Hours of Operation
Monday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Closures and Holiday Schedule
2011 Holiday Schedule
- President's Day: Monday, February 21
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 30
- Independence Day: Monday, July 4
- Pioneer Day: Monday, July 25
- Labor Day and Peach Days: Monday - Friday September 5 - 9
- Staff Meeting: Thursday, October 20 the Center will close at 6:30 pm
- Thanksgiving Holiday: Wednesday - Friday, November 23 - 25
- Christmas Holiday: last two weeks of December (Monday, December 19 through January 2, 2012)
Calendar and Events
Thursday, Oct 6 at 10:00 am “Legacy Basic”
Taught by Anita Olsen in the Book Room.
Tuesday, Oct 11 at 10:00 am OR Thursday Oct 13 at 7:00 pm
“How to Begin Research on the Internet” taught by Anita Olsen in the Relief Society Room
Tuesday, Oct 18 at 10:00 am “Roots Magic Basic”
Taught by Anita Olsen in the Book Room
Staff Training Meeting
Thursday, Oct 20 at 7:00 pm
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- Over 9,000 rolls of microfilm and about 4,000 microfiche. Additional films and fiche may be rented from the Family History Library. Select “Microfilm” on the menu for more details.
- A book collection of hundreds of volumes of basic reference books, gazetteers, county and family histories. The collection includes information for U.S., England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Scandinavia and other areas.
Databases and Software
FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- 19th Century British Newspaper Digital ArchiveAccess Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War
- Find My Past
- Fold3 (formerly Footnote)
- The Genealogist
- Genline FamilyFinder (Swedish records)
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
- Genealogy database software: PAF, Family Insight, RootsMagic, Ancestral Quest, Legacy
- Charting software: PAF Companion
- Photo editing software: Picasa, IrfanView
- Word processing software: Open Office
- Research aids such as: Parish Locator, GenSmarts
- Pedigree Resource File
- Free internet access to American Ancestors.org, the New England Historical and Genealogical Society (NEHGS) website
Hardware and Equipment
- Paper copy machine available for a minimal charge
- 10 computers in main room, 6 computers in film room, 2 computers in lobby
- All have internet and printer access
- Wireless internet service is available for patrons who wish to connect their personal laptop computer
Microfilm and Microfiche Readers
- 6 microfilm readers
- 1 microfiche reader
- Microfilm scanner that can print paper copies for a minimal charge or create digital images that can be saved to a flash drive
The Center prepares a monthly newsletter which includes family history news, tips, and a schedule of classes being taught at the Center. If you wish to receive the newsletter, send a request by email to: email@example.com
Microfilm can be ordered online. Go to the online film ordering page. Sign in with your LDS Account. To view the films at the Center, select Brigham City Utah Family History Center as your “favorite” family history center. It will remain as your default family history center. Short term loans must be returned within 90 days. A 60-day renewal option is available when your short-term order expires. The current price for each film order or renewal is $5.50. Films ordered as extended loan will remain at the Center indefinitely. The current price of an extended film loan is $13.75. Microfiche are sent as a collection rather than as individual sheets. The current price is $4.75. Payment is made using Visa or Mastercard credit/debit card or PayPal. You will be notified by email when your film has arrived at the Center.
Free training classes are scheduled throughout the year. Select “Class Schedule” in the Calendar and Events” section for a list of current classes.
Church groups, families, and other groups are welcome to visit the Center. If you would like to bring a group, please contact us in advance so that we have the proper staff and resources available for your visit.
Daytime reservations will be accepted any time between 9:30 am and 4:00 pm. Evening reservations may begin any time after 5:30 pm and should be concluded by 7:45 pm.
To schedule a visit, call the Center at 435-723-5995 or contact us email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have a preferred date and an alternative date for your group’s visit as well as the type of activity you desire. Suggested activities are:
- Introduction to the Family History Center - A walking tour of the center, with explanations of equipment, holdings, and how ancestry information is recorded on pedigree charts and family group sheet reports. A staff member will demonstrate the new FamilySearch program. Visitors will not have use of computers.
- Introduction to new FamilySearch - A tour of the center, with visitors using computers to try to find information on their ancestors. Reminder: It is not realistic for individuals to expect to find a temple-ready ordinance on one visit to the center.
- Introduction to Indexing - Short training on how to index followed by hands-on experience indexing records
- Introduction to Family History (ages 8 – 12) – A tour of the center and an age-appropriate activity to introduce youth to family history. Youth will not use computers.
We have six computers available for groups; however, if other computers are not being used, they may also be made available. If only six computers are available, groups of more than six may be split. Some will use computers while others tour different rooms, then rotate.
Youth groups are asked to provide one adult for every four youth. Adults accompanying youth groups should prepare to actively participate with their youth.
We want you to have the most productive and enjoyable time here at the Center. We suggest the following preparation for your visit:
In order to access new FamilySearch or Indexing, each person needs to be registered and obtain a user ID and password BEFORE THEY COME. If the person already has registered for an LDS account (such as to access ward and stake websites), then it is not necessary to register again. If they have not yet registered, visitors can go to the registration pageand follow the instructions. Please help each person register online before the group visit and remind them to bring their login information with them. You may wish to ask your ward’s family history consultant for assistance.
After registration, a verification email will be sent to the email address entered on the form. The new account must be activated within 48 hours, or the registration is voided, and the process must be started again.
Those 13 and older can register at home or with help from you or your consultant. As an alternative, you may want to schedule a “preparation” visit to the center to complete registration prior to your hands-on activity. Those under 13 must be registered by their parents.
The Church has prepared several excellent videos to introduce youth to family history. We encourage you to view these short videos with the youth before visiting the Center. The videos are found here.
Remind the youth to bring with them for their hands-on visit:
- Their New FamilySearch user name and password
- A filled-in pedigree chart OR the name, birth date and birthplace of an ancestor who was born before 1901.
- Paper and pencil for taking notes of information found.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
Bear River City DUP Museum
4600 West 5900 North (in the park)
Bear River, UT 84301
Open on request; free admission
Brigham City DUP (Restored Log Cabin)
200 North 300 West (Pioneer Park)
Brigham City, UT 84302
Open by appointment; free admission
Brigham City Museum-Gallery
24 North 300 West
Brigham City, UT 84302
Open Tues.-Fri. 11:00AM-6:00PM; Sat. 1:00PM-5:00PM and by appointment; free admission
Family History Centers
Tremonton-Garland Utah Family History Center
487 E 900 N,
Tremonton, Utah 84337
Malad Idaho Family History Center
1250 N 1100 W
Volunteer at the Center
Volunteers are needed at the Center. If you have computer experience and an interest in family history, we would love to have you join our staff. Serving at the Center is a great way to increase your computer and family history skills. Those who help others always learn the most themselves.
We have four-hour daytime shifts and three-hour evening shifts. To volunteer, please call the center at 723-5995 or email us at email@example.com
Adding details to a FHC page article.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News