Brighton Holy Trinity, Sussex

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (create outline page)
 
m (add image and Poor Law)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Sussex]]  
 
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Sussex]]  
  
 
+
[[Image:Former_Holy_Trinity_Church,_Brighton.jpg|thumb|right|Former Holy Trinity Church Ship Street Brighton]]<br>
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
Line 11: Line 11:
 
From 'The borough of Brighton', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 7: The rape of Lewes (1940), pp. 244-263. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56961&amp;strquery=Brighton Date accessed: 04 May 2011.<br>  
 
From 'The borough of Brighton', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 7: The rape of Lewes (1940), pp. 244-263. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56961&amp;strquery=Brighton Date accessed: 04 May 2011.<br>  
  
The church was deconsecrated and is now used as an art gallery.
+
The church was deconsecrated and is now used as an art gallery.  
  
 
<br>  
 
<br>  
Line 30: Line 30:
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
 
  
 
==== Probate records  ====
 
==== Probate records  ====

Revision as of 08:49, 4 May 2011

England  Gotoarrow.png  Sussex

Former Holy Trinity Church Ship Street Brighton

Contents

Parish History

Brighton Holy Trinity was an Ecclesiastical Parish.

HOLY TRINITY, Ship Street, was built in 1817,  consecrated in 1826, enlarged in 1869, 1882, and 1887, and restored in 1910, and is cement-faced, except for the east end, which is of split flint with stone dressings and has a small lantern tower. The altar is at the west, the entrances being at the east. The church is of simple design and is composed of a clerestoried nave with north and south aisles beneath galleries, an organ-gallery on the east side, and chancel. The west window is in memory of F. W. Robertson who was vicar from 1847–53 and of whom there is a bust at the west end of the north nave, where a space is set apart as a memorial to other vicars.

From 'The borough of Brighton', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 7: The rape of Lewes (1940), pp. 244-263. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56961&strquery=Brighton Date accessed: 04 May 2011.

The church was deconsecrated and is now used as an art gallery.


Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Poor Law Unions

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.