Bristol County, Massachusetts GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Taunton Superior Courthouse
9 Court Street
Taunton, MA 02780
Bristol County; 9 Court St; Taunton, MA 02780-3223; Ph. 508.824.9681 Details: (Clk Cts has ct rec from 1796 & nat rec; Twn clks have b, m & d rec; Pro Ct has div rec from 1921 & pro rec) Towns Organized Before 1800: Attleboro 1694, Berkley 1735, Dartmouth 1652, Dighton 1712, Easton 1725, Freetown 1683, Manfield 1770, New Bedford 1787, Norton 1710, Raynham 1731, Rehoboth 1645, Sandwich 1638, Somerset 1790, Swansea 1667, Taunton 1639, Westport 1787
- Created 2 June 1685 from Plymouth Colony lands. 
- Bristol County is one of very few counties that border on another county with same name - Bristol County, Rhode Island.
- In 1746, Bristol, Barrington, and Warren were awarded to Bristol County Rhode Island. At the same time, part of Attleborough, Massachusetts was annexed to Cumberland, Providence, Rhode Island. And Tiverton and Little Compton were transferred to Newport County, Rhode Island.
- In 1862, part of Seekonk (now East Providence, Rhode Island) and the entirety of East Pawtucket were transferred to Providence County, Rhode Island. At the same time, land ceded from Rhode Island was added to Fall River and Westport.
Places / Localities
- Cemeteries of Bristol county Massachusetts at Find A Grave
- Bristol county Massachusetts Cemeteries Database at The Plymouth Colony Pages
- Rehoboth Cemeteries and Cemetery Transcriptions at USGenWeb
- Oak Grove Cemetery, Fall River BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Bristol County, Massachusetts Genealogy census records online, see: Massachusetts Census.
1855 Massachusetts State Census—a free searchable index and images to the 1855 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1855, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
1865 Massachusetts State Census—a free searchable index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
There are three Registry of Deeds in the county, located at
- Fall River - Fall River District Registry of Deeds
- New Bedford - Southern District Registry of Deeds
- Taunton - Northern District Registry of Deeds
History of Rehoboth Massachusetts by George H. Tilton at Google Books
History of Bristol County, Massachusetts by Duane Hamiton Hurd at Internet Archive
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Bristol County MAGenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Bristol County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Bristol County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Bristol County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
|This Massachusetts-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More