British Columbia, Victoria Times Birth, Marriage and Death Notices (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: British Columbia, Victoria Times Birth, Marriage, and Death notices 1901-1939 .
This Collection will include records from 1901 to 1939.
This collection contains newspaper clippings from the Victoria Daily Times newspaper that have been pasted onto cards and arranged chronologically. The Victoria Times newspaper has also been named the Victoria Daily Times and the Victoria Weekly Times.
For a list of records by dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- Victoria Times. Newspaper clippings of births, marriages and deaths. City of Victoria Archives, British Columbia, Canada.
These records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of birth
- Sex of child
- Name of father
- Name of mother, including maiden name
- Residence and rank or profession of father
- Names of bride and groom
- Date and place of marriage
- Rank or profession
- Names of parents (father’s name only in most preconfederation records)
- Names of witnesses and their residences
- Religious denominations of bride and groom
- Name of person performing the marriage
- Ages of bride and groom
- Name, age, sex, and residence of the deceased
- Date and place of death
- Profession (if known)
- Registration district name or number
- Marital status and parents’ names are included in later registrations
- Date of birth
- Cause of death
- Name of physician
- Name and residence of informant
- Religious affiliation
How to Use the Record
Beginning Your Search
To use this collection you need to know the following information:
- Ancestors year of birth, marriage, and death
- Place of death
- Residence at the time of the newspaper clipping
Browsing the Images
To browse this collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "Year or Year Range" category which will take you to the images
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Try searching for their nicknames or alternative names
- Search the censuses for the residence of your ancestor
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
- British Columbia Vital Certificates
- British Columbia Vital Records Information
- BC Archives
- British Columbia City Directories
Related Wiki Articles
- British Columbia
- British Columbia Archives and Libraries
- British Columbia Births (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- British Columbia Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- British Columbia Vital Records
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
"British Columbia, Victoria Times Birth, Marriage and Death Notices, 1901-1939," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 22 May 2012), Image 10 of 3471, Mrs. Margaret Loeffler, died 02 January 1939; citing Victoria Times. Newspaper clippings of births, marriages and deaths. City of Victoria Archives, British Columbia, Canada.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More