Broadoak, Cornwall

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
m
Line 7: Line 7:
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
BROADOAK, or[[Bradock,_Cornwall|Bradock,]] a '''parish '''in Liskeard district, Cornwall; 2 miles SSW of Doublebois r. station, and 4 NE by E of Lostwithiel. It includes West Taphouse hamlet. <ref>1870-72, John Marius Wilson's[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=3839&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;st=bradoc ''Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales'']</ref> The parish has been called: Broad Oak, Broadoak, Brodehog, Bradock, Braddock; it is now mainly referred to as Braddock. The parish is named after the Old English for Broad Hook or Oak, it is often called Broadoak in documents. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Brodehog when Earl Aelfric had held it before 1066. At that time, it is recorded as having land for 4 ploughs but only two ploughs there with 2 slaves. There were also 3 villagers and 4 smallholders. The parish then consisted of 20 acres of woodland and 100 acres of pasture. See [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Bradock/index.html Genuki] for more information.<br>  
+
BROADOAK, or [[Bradock, Cornwall|Bradock,]] a '''parish '''in Liskeard district, Cornwall; 2 miles SSW of Doublebois r. station, and 4 NE by E of Lostwithiel. It includes West Taphouse hamlet. <ref>1870-72, John Marius Wilson's[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=3839&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;st=bradoc ''Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales'']</ref> The parish has been called: Broad Oak, Broadoak, Brodehog, Bradock, Braddock; it is now mainly referred to as Braddock. The parish is named after the Old English for Broad Hook or Oak, it is often called Broadoak in documents. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Brodehog when Earl Aelfric had held it before 1066. At that time, it is recorded as having land for 4 ploughs but only two ploughs there with 2 slaves. There were also 3 villagers and 4 smallholders. The parish then consisted of 20 acres of woodland and 100 acres of pasture. See [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Bradock/index.html Genuki] for more information.<br>  
  
 
== Neighbouring Parishes  ==
 
== Neighbouring Parishes  ==

Revision as of 17:15, 5 June 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Cornwall Gotoarrow.png Cornwall Parishes

The spellings Broad Oak, Broadoak, Brodehog, Bradock, Braddock all refer to this parish. 

England Gotoarrow.png Cornwall Gotoarrow.png Cornwall Parishes

Contents

Parish History

BROADOAK, or Bradock, a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall; 2 miles SSW of Doublebois r. station, and 4 NE by E of Lostwithiel. It includes West Taphouse hamlet. [1] The parish has been called: Broad Oak, Broadoak, Brodehog, Bradock, Braddock; it is now mainly referred to as Braddock. The parish is named after the Old English for Broad Hook or Oak, it is often called Broadoak in documents. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Brodehog when Earl Aelfric had held it before 1066. At that time, it is recorded as having land for 4 ploughs but only two ploughs there with 2 slaves. There were also 3 villagers and 4 smallholders. The parish then consisted of 20 acres of woodland and 100 acres of pasture. See Genuki for more information.

Neighbouring Parishes

St Pinnock, Cornwall  St Winnow, Cornwall Cardinham, Cornwall Warleggan, Cornwall St Neot, Cornwall

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Records deposited cover 1556-2006, these registers are kept at the County Record Office, County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY.

The Family History Library has microfilmed parish register transcripts from 1578-1850, marriage transcriptions from 1600-1837, and parish registers from 1839-1980.

Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearchunder Records. Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P17.

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241274.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add here any revelant sites that aren't mentioned above.

References

  1. 1870-72, John Marius Wilson'sImperial Gazetteer of England and Wales

Cornwall