Bromley Poor Law Union, KentEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 06:19, 16 April 2012 by DowneOPC (Talk | contribs)

Contents

History

For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: Bromley Workhouse   

Prior to the formation of the Poor Law Union parish workhouses were in existence at

Beckenham St George, Kent

Bromley St Peter and St Paul, Kent in London Road

Chislehurst, Kent

Cudham, Kent at Leaves Green

Hayes, Kent

St Mary Cray, Kent

The Bromley Poor Law Union was created on 19th May 1836; a Union Workhouse was built at Locks Bottom (near Tug Mutton Common) in 1844. The lodge was on the main London to Hastings Road and one side of the site adjoined Wellbrook Road which ran to the Common.

The Union Workhouse had a chapel ( which still survives) and was in the parish of Farnborough, Kent

The cessation of the Poor Law system lead to the infirmary and buildings passing in 1948 into the National Health Service with the addition of a maternity wing and hutted wards on that part of the site which had formerly been orchard and gardens. Farnborough Hospital was closed and demolished to form the present Princess Royal University Hospital on the site.

The Chapel has been converted into use as a centre for support and complementary therapy for women with breast cancer and their families; The Primrose Centre.

Constituent Parishes

Beckenham St George, Kent  Bromley St Peter and St Paul, Kent Bromley Holy Trinity, Kent Chelsfield, Kent Chislehurst, Kent Cudham, Kent Downe, Kent Farnborough, Kent Foots Cray, Kent Hayes, Kent Keston, Kent Knockholt, Kent North Cray, Kent Orpington, Kent Sidcup St John, Kent St Mary Cray, Kent St Paul’s Cray, Kent West Wickham, Kent

The Lewisham Poor Law Union was formed in 1836 from the parishes of Lewisham, Charlton, Eltham, Mottingham, Kidbrooke, Lee and Plumstead. In 1887 the parish of Mottingham separated to become part of the Bromley Union.

Records

It does not appear likely that any of the early parish workhouses will feature in future publication of the England, Kent, Workhouse Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) by FamilySearch since that relates to material held at Maidstone. Bromley Archives holds material for the parishes in Bromley and it seems likely that neighbouring London boroughs have acquired any holdings which were previously at Maidstone.

Cudham Parish Workhouse at Leaves Green

The Cudham Parish Workhouse was built in 1731 at Leaves Green.

No documents relating to the foundation of the parish workhouse survive. There is a reference in a manorial rental of the manor of Cudham 05 29 October 1731 to the church warden and overseers of Cudham paying a quit rent of 1d for the workhouse. A 1788 survey of the parish includes the workhouse and garden. In 1803/4 11 people were in the workhouse according to an abstract of returns relating to the expense and maintenance of the poor.

The minutes of the Board of Guardians of the Bromley Union 1836 ( Bromley Archive reference 346 G/BY AM1 record a report to the full board that there were 15 inmates although the workhouse was capable of accommodating 60. The inmates were transferred to Bromley, Chislehurst and St Mary Cray workhouses. The same meeting resolved to build a central workhouse.

To the modern eye the workhouse appears disconnected from the parish but much of the modern area of the Ancient Parish was constructed in the 20th century. The former parish Workhouse is a grade II listed building; the three cottages were renamed Jasmine Cottage, Ramblers Rest Cottage and Green View in the early 20th century. British Listed Buildings contains architectural details and is based on Bromley Archives material held at reference L78.4.(0)

Bromley Archives have a large collection of records for the Union Workhouse at Farnborough/Locksbottom although there are many gaps in records. At over 1,000 items deposited in the Archive,records include minute books, letter books/Correspondence and numerous registers covering various aspects of the Poor Law Union's Work. Bromley Union's Workhouse was in Farnborough at the site of the former Farnborough Hospital, now the Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough, Kent.

Admission and Discharge books 1882-1930

Guardian Minutes 1836-1930

Apprentice Register 1882-1912, 1927-1930

Register of Lunatics 1899-1931

Letter Books 1872-1931

Vaccination registers 1895-1921

Some medical and personal information may be witheld from public examination for reasons of confidentiality; please apply to the Archive for further information.

Bromley Central Library
Telephone: 020 8461 7170
Fax: 020 8466 7860
e-mail: localstudies.library@bromley.gov.uk

Bromley Creed registers 1889-1893/4 Bromley Creed register the Bromley Archives volunteer transcription team are working to provide an online index to these records.


 

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).