Brooks County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Texas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Adopted by TXGenWeb Brooks County
Mexican colonists settled the area before 1883. The first Ango- Americans arrived in 1883.
The county was named for John Brooks, who worked to establish the county. State Representative John Abijah Brooks, succeeded in having Brooks County separated from Starr County, with Falfurrias as the county seat. The initial plans were to name the new county Falfurrias County, but in the end it was decided to name it Brooks in honor of John Brooks, who worked diligently for its formation.
Places / Localities
Towns and Cities: | Falfurris | Los Olmos |
- Brooks County Cemeteries from the Brooks County TXGenWeb site
- Longoria Cemetery, Encino BillionGraves
- Pedro Garza Zamora Cemetery, Falfurrias (Airport Road Addition) BillionGraves. East of Falfurrias on SH-285.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
Brooks County Military from the TXGenWeb site
- Brooks County Births 1926-1934, from the Brook County TXGenWeb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
Societies and Libraries
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Brooks County, Texas. Page 659 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News