Broughton, WrexhamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Broughton (Welsh: Brychdyn) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Wrexham in Wales. The community is made up of the villages of Southsea, Brynteg, Caego, New Broughton, Pentre Broughton, Lodge and Moss.
The area was formerly heavily industrialised with rich and extensive deposits of coal, lead, and iron ore.
The parish church of St. Paul's, was built in 1889. A mission church, St. Peter's, was opened in 1895.
On 7 May 1921, a small part of the parish was transferred to the new parish of Southsea.
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
The parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Broughton, formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
|1851||HO107/2503 folios 746-815 & 827-829|
|1861|| RG9/4285 folios 50 & 85-95|
RG9/4286 folios 1-72
|1871|| RG10/5655 folios 31-end|
RG10/5656 folio 75
RG10/5658 folios 109-111 & 121
|1881|| RG11/5516 folios 1-103|
RG115520 folios 102-104 & 120
|1891|| RG12/4615 folios 1-98|
RG12/4619 folios 96-98 & 113
Nonconformist Church Records
Births, marriages and deaths in Broughton are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Wrexham||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
Poor Law Union
The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and the parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Broughton, formed part of this. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Wrexham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.
- Broughton Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Broughton War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Broughton District History Group
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News