Bruton Parish, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- by 1674
In 1903, Rev. Goodwin published "copies of all epitaphs visible in [the parish] church and church-yard." See Historical Sketch of Bruton Church (pp. 87-117).
- Cary, Wilson Miles. "Descendants of Rev. Rowland Jones, First Rector of Bruton Parish, Va.," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 3 (Jan., 1897), pp. 192-197. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- "Church Patronage in Virginia. Argument for Bruton Parish the Plaintiff," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 22, No. 4 (Oct., 1914), pp. 401-409. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Goodwin, William A.R. Bruton Parish Church Restored and Its Historic Environment. Petersburg, Va.: The Franklin Press Co., 1907. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Goodwin, William Archer Rutherford. The Record of Bruton Parish Church. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, 1941.
- Goodwin, William A.R. Historical Sketch of Bruton Church. Petersburg, Va.: The Franklin Press Company, 1903. Digital versions at FamilySearch Books Online - free; Google Books - free. Includes parish register entries, cemetery transcriptions, list of ministers, list of vestrymen, a list of slaveowners who baptized slaves in the parish (slaveowners listed on pp. 154-157).
For a history of a well-known plantation in the parish, see:
- Campbell, Helen J. "Porto Bello: Bruton Parish, York County, Virginia," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 69, No. 4 (Oct., 1961), pp. 460-468. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; digital version at JSTOR ($).
In 1903, Rev. Goodwin published abstracts of all extant parish registers. See Historical Sketch of Bruton Church. For births (1739-1797), see pp. 121-131. For deaths (1662-1751), see pp. 132-143.
Chappelear also abstracted the old parish registers:
- Chappelear, Nancy. Bruton and Middleton Parishes, James City County, Virginia, Parish Register, 1662-1797. Washington, D.C.: Chappelear & Baird, 1966. Available at FHL.
- Bruton Parish Episcopal Church (official site)
- ↑ Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- ↑ William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.
- ↑ Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 55-60.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 05:18.
- This page has been accessed 11,076 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News