Buncombe County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Buncombe County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Buncombe County, North Carolina
69 Court Plaza Run 110
Asheville, NC 28801-3519
Court house burned 1830-1835
Reg of Deeds has b, m, d. bur & land records
Clk Sup Ct has div & pro rec from 1832 & Ct Rec
Buncombe County was formed from Burke and Rutherford 5 Dec 1791,
1830, 1865--The courthouse fires destroyed many court records.
BillionGraves (Headstone photos, Google maps, searchable database both by cemetery and sitewide):
- Patton Cemetery, Swannatoa
- Western North Carolina State Veterans Cemetery, Black Mountain
- Woodlawn Cemetery, Ashville
- Black Mountain College collection - repository of publications and records of the college. Available via the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Montreat College Yearbooks: 1925-1959 -- free at the Internet Archive
- Buncombe County students at NC colleges - list via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- [Gash] Rising, Marsha Hoffman. "The Gash Family of Buncombe County, North Carolina: Who Was Ebenezer Gash of St. Clair County, Missouri?," The American Genealogist, Vol. 73, No. 2 (Apr. 1998):105-116.
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Asheville and Buncombe County Weblog
- Buncombe County NC GenWeb
- Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).