Butte County, California GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Butte County Courthouse
25 County Center Dr;
Oroville, CA 95965;
County Recorder has marriage records from 1851,
born and death records from 1859 and land records;
County Clerk has divorce, probate, probate and court
record from 1850; Meriam Library, California State
University Chico, has divorce, probate and court records
1850-1879 and natural records 1850-1960
1850--Butte County was created 18 February 1850 as an original county. County seat: Oroville 
Indian Reservations or Rancherias
The Berry Creek Indian Rancheria is located in this county.
For tips on accessing Butte County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Liberty (Gridley)
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
The Paradise Genealogical Society has a large collection of obituaries and death notices from local Butte County newspapers, The majority are full obituaries but also include short obituaries and death notices. The collection includes approximately 85,800 records covering the years 1855-2008. Letters A through F are indexed and online. Copies of the obituaries can be ordered for $5.00.
- Paradise, California Obituaries Butte County, California Free from GenealogyBuff.com. These obituaries were collected from local newspapers and funeral homes for genealogy research. The dates listed under the deceased's name represents the announcement date
- For FHL entries for the obituary file index, 1883-1896, click here
- For FHL entries for the obituary file index, 1902-1967, click here
- For FHL entries for the obituary file index, 1963-1990, click here
- Gridley Herald
This collection was gleaned and indexed from Footnote.com. If you find possible family, the complete Obituary is available.
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Gridley California Family History Center
- Oroville California Family History Center
Paradise Genealogical Society
Paradise Genealogical Society
5587 Scottwood Road
PO Box 460
Paradise, California 95967-0460
For marriages from 1851-1886 see Western States Marriage Index.
- Butte County [CAGenWeb]
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Amador County, California. Page 84 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).
|This California-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News