Bygland, Aust-Agder, Norway GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Microfilm at the Family History Library for Bygland prestegjeld (clerical district). Contains priest and sexton records for the parishes Bygland (Nedre Setesdal), Sandnes, Austad and Årdal. Parish registers for the years 1725-1926.
Digitized images of parish registers available online at Digitalarkivet [Digital Archives]
- 1660: Census
Sogneprestenes manntall 1664-1666 is available on microfilm at the Family History Library, and include the parishes Sandnes, Årdal, Austad, and Bygland. This census was taken by the local parish priests. It lists the name of the farms, names of farm owners (including widows), the sons of the farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and their sons, and the ages of each person. There was another census taken by the civil authorities at this same time. Both censuses should be searched as they supplement each other. This clerical census is more complete.
Fogdernes og sorenskrivernes manntall 1664-1666 is available on microfilm at the Family History Library and include the parishes of Bygland, Austad, Sandnes, and Årdal. This census was taken by the local civil authorities. It lists the names of the farms, farmowners (including widows), sons of farm owners, male farm hands, cottagers and sons of cottagers and the age of each person. The clerical authorities took a census during this same time period. Both censuses should be used as they supplement each other. The clerical census is more complete.
- 1801: Folketelling 1 Feb 1801, Norge. Available on microfilm at the Family History Library. The 1801 census (b. 33) for Bygland clerical district includeBygland, Sandnes, Austad, and Årdal parishes. It lists the farm name, person's name, position in the household, age, marital status, and occupation.
A typewritten edition with indexes is available on microfiche. It is called "Mikrokortutgåva av 1801-teljina".
Also available online at Digital Archives (Digitalarkivet).
- 1865: Folketælling 31 December 1865. Available on microfilm at the Family History Library, and include the parishes of Sandnes, Austad, Bygland, and Årdal. This census contains the persons name, residence, status in the family, occupation, sex, martial status, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information. Each book usually contains one clerical district (prestegjeld). In some books there are two clerical districts recorded. The parishes and school districts in each clerical district are listed at the beginning of each book. Also available online at Digital Archives (Digitalarkivet).
- 1875: Folketælling for kongeriget Norge den 31te December 1875. Available on microfilm at the Family History Library, and include the parishes of Austad, Bygland, Sandnes, andÅrdal. This 1875 census contains the persons name, residence, position in the family, occupation, sex, marital status, year of birth, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information.
- 1900: Folketælling for Norge, 3 Dec 1900. Available on microfilm at the Family History Library and include the parishesAustad, Bygland, Sandnes, and Årdal. This census contains the persons name, sex, resident or temporary resident, temporarily absent and where person is, position in the family, marital status, occupation, date of birth, place of birth, citizenship, religion, and other miscellaneous information.
Also available online at Digital Archives (Digitalarkivet).
- 1910: Søk i folketellingen fra 1910. Available online at Digital Archives (Digitalarkivet) as well as at the Norwegian Historical Data Centre at the University of Tromsø in Norway.
The farm number and name of the farms listed in Oluf Rygh Farm Names Index in about 1900 were as follows:
45 Aakhus 46 Bygland 53 Hage 48 Hamre 36 Haugaa 39 Kolshus 41 Krosstu 36 Kvaale 51 Lauvdal nordre 44 Lien 50 Naanes 43 Nerhus 35 Nese 38 Nordibø 38 Nørstebø 52 Odden 43 Opsal 47 Præstegaarden 40 Salvehus 34 Skaamedal 49 Skjervrak 37 Skreland 42 Stuttestu 48 Sørjordet 34 Volden
The names of the places listed in the farm history for Bygland are:
Apledokk, Apleknodden, Austad, Austad Syndre, Bakke, Bakken, Bakkeåsen, Bekkjerus, Birkeland, Borgi, Breiland, Brokke, Bubakk, Bygland, Bygland Prestegard, Bø, Bås, Dale, Dalen, Drivslid, Eldhuset, Eivindstad, Fitjebakk, Fjosbakk, Flatin, Frujordet, Frydenlund, Frøyrak, Frøysnes, Gakkestad, Galgebakk, Gausi, Granheim, Greibrokk, Hagan, Hagen, Hamre, Haugen, Haugen Nordre, Haugen Syndre, Haugetveit, Haugevoll, Heggtveit, Hegland, Heistad, Holten, Holtet, Horverak, Hovstad, Hverven, Hækni, Jordalsbø, Jørundlid, Kaset, Kile, Kjarret, Klepp, Kolshus, Kristihagen, Kroka, Krokan, Krosstog, Kvina, Kvinnebakkane, Kvåle, Lande, Langeid, Lauvdal, Leikvam, Leikvollen, Leivstøyl, Libakk, Lidtveit, Lidi, Longerak, Lundebrekka, Lundan, Lunden, Lure, Moi, Moland, Monen, Monå, Nedgarden Frøysnes, Nedre Gakkestad, Nedre Haugan, Nedre Hegland, Nedre Huset, Nedre Lande, Nedre Lidi, Nedre Skeie, Nedstoga, Nerhus, Nese, Neset, Nevesjordet, Nordena, Nordgarden, Nordgarden Austad, Nordheim, Nordigard Frøysnes, Nordre Huset, Nørstebø, Nånes, Oppigard Frøysnes, Ose, Plassane, Plassen, Pytten, Raustad, Reise, Rosevall, Rukadden, Ryningen, Rysbrekka, Røyrtveit, Sagemo, Sandnes, Sandnes Nordre, Sandnes Syndre, Sandvassdalen, Setberg, Skeie, Skjevrak, Skogen, Skomedal, Skore, Skreland, Sletta, Smidjan, Sordal, Sorlandsmoen, Stareholtet, Steinlid, Steinteigen, Stoplestog, Storrvollen, Søjordet, Sørgarden, Såghus, Troddeberg, Tveit, Tveitskor, Tveitå, Tyskeplassen, Vassend, Viki, Vodden, Vollen, Vrålsplass, Øvre Haugan, Øvre Hegland, Øvre Huset, Øvre Lande, Øyna, Åkhus, Ånebjørg, Åraksbø, Åsen
Vestre Råbyggelag judicial district
*1697-1862 Family History Library
Bolling, Reidar. Gards- og Ættesoge For Bygland. Kristiansand: Edgar Høgfeldt A.S, 1952.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News