Cabell County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Cabell County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
8th St and 4th Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
- Count Clerk has birth and death from 1853
- Marriage Records from 1809
- Land Record from 1808 and Probate Records from 1809
- Clerk Circuit Court records from 1809
- Wayne County was carved from Cabell in 1842, while still part of Virginia.
- Boone County was created in 1847 from parts of Cabell, Kanawha and Logan.
- In 1867, parts of Cabell, Boone, Kanawha and Putnam were used to create Lincoln County, West Virginia.
- See an interactive map of Cabell County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
The largest city is the county seat, Huntington (originally Cabell City). Other communities include Barboursville, Guyandotte, Ona, Salt Rock and Milton.
- The Heck Funeral Home, located in Milton, Cabell County, West Virginia, has served many individuals in Cabell County and surrounding counties. Thousands of alphabetically arranged abstracts of records are available online and may include age, birth, death, and burial dates and locations. Some records also include parents' names.
The Cabell County WVGenWeb site includes Cabell County cemeteries
For tips on accessing Cabell County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Cabell County West Virginia 1840 Census Alphabetically Arranged. 1995. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website.
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Cabell County West Virginia 1850 Census Annotated. 1998. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
A very rare and valuable resource, little known to those not from this area, are the papers of Fred Lambert, housed at the Special Collections of Morrow Library, Marshall University in Huntington.
Lambert wrote down oral family histories of hundreds of local families and the collection includes several boxes of his notebooks. Some, but not all, are indexed.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Braxton County on page 134.]
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Huntington's daily newspapers included the Herald Advertiser (historical) and Herald-Dispatch
Cabell County, West Virginia Will Books 1820-1968
West Virginia Will Books
How can West Virginia tax lists help me?
-  Schreiner-Yates, Netti. A Supplement to the 1810 Census of Virginia: Tax Lists of the Counties for which the Census is Missing. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1971. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1810 personal property tax list. Cabell County is included because the 1810 Census for that county has been destroyed.]
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Cabell County is included in Vol. 6.]
- Cabell County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853 marriage records from 1809 (see West Virginia Archives and History)
Societies and Libraries
KYOVA Genealogical and Historical Society
Huntington, WV 25714-1254
Library located at the second floor of the Second Presbyterian Church Building, 901 Jefferson Ave, Huntington, West Virginia
Cabell - Wayne County Historical Society
P O Box 9412
Huntinton, WV 25704
Cabell County Public Library
455 9th Street Plaza
Huntington, WV, 25701
Marshall Library Stacks
Huntington, WV 25755
Family History Centers
The closest family history center is the Huntingon Family History Center
- Family History Library Catalog
- CYNDI'S List West Virginia
- Cabell County Public Library
- Cabell County WV GenWeb
- KYOVA Genealogical and Historical Society
- Cabell County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback