Caldwell County, Texas

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Caldwell County, Texas)
(Caldwell Texas)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{Texas-stub}}''[[United States|United States]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Texas|Texas]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Texas Counties C|Counties C]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] Caldwell County'' <br>{{Adoption TXGenWeb}}  
 
{{Texas-stub}}''[[United States|United States]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Texas|Texas]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Texas Counties C|Counties C]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] Caldwell County'' <br>{{Adoption TXGenWeb}}  
  
== [[Image:Caldwell county courthouse.jpg|frame|right|480x467px|Caldwell county courthouse.jpg]]Caldwell County Courthouse  ==
+
== [[Image:Caldwell county courthouse.jpg|frame|right|217x181px]] ==
  
This is the third courthouse built on this site. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1893 and the building was completed on March 19, 1894. Built by the architectural firm of Martin, Byrnes and Johnston, the structure features mansard roofs and a high central tower with a four way Seth Thomas clock. The three-story edifice is built of Muldoon limestone with red Pecos sandstone trim. Although originally equiped with electricity, the courthouse had no indoor plumbing. Broom closets were later converted into restrooms. It is said that when the first water bill was received, the county judge was so shocked at the charges that he padlocked the restrooms. After a ten year effort involving hundreds of people in the county, a complete historic restoration was completed in the spring of 2000.  
+
== County Courthouse ==
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
Caldwell County Courthouse<br>110 S Main Street<br> Lockhart, TX 78644<br> Phoen: 512.398.1804&nbsp;<br><br>County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903, <br>marriage&nbsp;and land records from 1848 and court records; <br>District Clerk has divorce&nbsp;records
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
This is the third courthouse built on this site. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1893 and the building was completed on March 19, 1894. Built by the architectural firm of Martin, Byrnes and Johnston, the structure features mansard roofs and a high central tower with a four way Seth Thomas clock. The three-story edifice is built of Muldoon limestone with red Pecos sandstone trim. Although originally equiped with electricity, the courthouse had no indoor plumbing. Broom closets were later converted into restrooms. It is said that when the first water bill was received, the county judge was so shocked at the charges that he padlocked the restrooms. After a ten year effort involving hundreds of people in the county, a complete historic restoration was completed in the spring of 2000.
  
 
== History  ==
 
== History  ==

Revision as of 18:06, 6 September 2012

United States go to Texas go to Counties C go to Caldwell County
Adopt-a-wiki page
Txgenweblogo.GIF This page adopted by:
TXGenWeb Project
who welcome you to contribute.
Adopt a page today

Contents

Caldwell county courthouse.jpg

County Courthouse

Caldwell County Courthouse
110 S Main Street
Lockhart, TX 78644
Phoen: 512.398.1804 

County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage and land records from 1848 and court records;
District Clerk has divorce records


This is the third courthouse built on this site. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1893 and the building was completed on March 19, 1894. Built by the architectural firm of Martin, Byrnes and Johnston, the structure features mansard roofs and a high central tower with a four way Seth Thomas clock. The three-story edifice is built of Muldoon limestone with red Pecos sandstone trim. Although originally equiped with electricity, the courthouse had no indoor plumbing. Broom closets were later converted into restrooms. It is said that when the first water bill was received, the county judge was so shocked at the charges that he padlocked the restrooms. After a ten year effort involving hundreds of people in the county, a complete historic restoration was completed in the spring of 2000.

History

The first settlers received land grants from the Mexican government between 1831 and 1835.

Parent County

1848--Caldwell County was created 6 March 1848 from Gonzales and Bastrop Counties. County seat: Lockhart [1]

Boundary Changes

Record Loss

Places / Localities

Populated Places

Towns and Cities: | Lockhart | Luling | Lytton Springs | Martindale | Prairie Lea | San Marcos |

Neighboring Counties

Resources

Cemeteries

Church

Court

Land

Local Histories

Maps

Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site

Military

Newspapers

Probate

Taxation

Vital Records

Societies and Libraries

Web Sites

References

  1. The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
 

Caldwell County; 110 S Main St; Lockhart, TX 78644; Ph. 512.398.1804 Details: (Co Clk has b & d rec form 1903, m & land rec from 1848 & ct rec; Dis Clk has div rec)