Calhoun County, Illinois GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Calhoun County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 10, 1825|
|Address|| Calhoun County Courthouse|
Hardin, Illinois 62047
Calhoun County's civil records start the following years:
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Calhoun County are kept, see the Calhoun County Courthouse page.
Calhoun County is named for John C. Calhoun who served in politics and became Vice-President of the United States.
To see a list of places in Calhoun County, click on [Show], above. The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
- Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois: Containing Full Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County, Together with Portraits and Biographies of All the Presidents of the United States, and Governors of the State. Chicago: Biographical Pub. Co., 1891. Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive FHL film 825598
- Portrait Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois. Chicago, IL, USA: Biographical Publishing, 1891. Digital version at Ancestry ($). Reprint 19823 with index FHL Book 977.3 D3p, fiche 6088665
- Calhoun Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- Calhoun County cemeteries 1981 FHL Book 977.3853 V3ca, film 1033842 Item 6
- Cemeteries of Calhoun Co., Ill.; pub. 19--? FHL Book 977.385 V22w, film 908035 Item 4
- Cemeteries of Calhoun County, Illinois 1978 FHL Book 977.3853 V3c, film 1036928 Item 12
- Honor roll, Calhoun County, state of Illinois, Veterans' Commission, 1956. FHL film 1305075 Item 3
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- Calhoun County, Illinois 1830 census WorldCat 52447394. WorldCat 16796520
- United States census, 1850, Calhoun County, Illinois FHL Book 977.3 A1 no. 92, fiche 6093467
- U. S. census, Calhoun County, Illinois, 1860, indexed FHL Book 977.3853 X2u 1860, film 6093820
- Ancestry.com (FI$)
- heritagequestonline.com (LAR)
- State census, 1855 and 1865 Ancestry.com (FI$)
- State census, 1855 Historical Collections index, FHL film 976179
- State census, 1865 FHL film 972751
- Name index to early Illinois records FHL films
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, Calhoun County on page 186.]
Church History and Records
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Calhoun County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Calhoun County.
- - 97th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C.
- Genealogy Trails. (Civil War) Military Data for Calhoun County. (accessed 31 May 2011)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Postal and Shipping Guides
An unspecified number of Calhoun County probate records are available in Illinois, Probate Records, 1819-1970.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Calhoun County, IL Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)