Calhoun County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Calhoun County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Calhoun County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
Calhoun County Courthouse
P O Box 230
Grantsville, WV 26147
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death from 1856 Land records from 1856
See an interactive map of Calhoun County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Tombstone Transcription Project - Calhoun County
For tips on accessing Calhoun County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Census takers uncharacteristically recorded the birth town or county of residents this census year.
Regiments. Service men in Calhoun County, West Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Calhoun County, West Virginia:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company A (Moccasin Rangers), Company D.
- - 14th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company E.
- - 19th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company A (The Moccasin Rangers).
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virgina, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Calhoun County, West Virginia Will Books 1870-1969
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
Societies and Libraries
Calhoun County Historical and Genealogical Society, The
P. O. Box 242
Grantsville, WV 26147-0242
President: Robert Bonar
c/o The Society
Secretary: Teresa Harris
c/o The Society
Family History Centers
Cyndi's List for West Virginia
Microfilms at the Library of Virginia Calhoun County, West Virginia Biographies
Calhoun County Genealogy Files
Calhoun County WV Gen Web Miscellaneous Records
Welcome to Calhoun coun WV History and Genealogy
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Calhoun County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Alycon Trubey Pierce, "In Praise of Errors Made by Census Enumerators," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 81, No. 1 (March 1993):51-55. FHL Book 973 B2ng
- ↑ Robert J. Driver, 14th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 47.
- ↑ Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.