California GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Spanish mission (church records) list many of the earliest settlers
- CA took an 1852 state census
- About 14% of CA immigrants before the railroad are in CA Pioneer Project
- Starting 1866 most CA counties have Great Registers (voter lists)
Click on the map below to go to a county page. Hover over a county to see its name. To see a larger version of the map, click here.
Major RepositoriesCalifornia State Archives · California State Library · Sutro Library · California Historical Society · California Genealogical Society · UC Berkeley Bancroft Library · Los Angeles Public Library · Chinese Historical Society · National Archives Pacific Region (Riverside) · National Archives Pacific Region (San Francisco) · Family History Library
Migration RoutesApplegate Trail · Butterfield Overland Mail · California Trail · Camino Real de California · Central Overland Trail · Mormon Trail to Southern California · Old Spanish Trail · Atlantic and Pacific Railroad · Central Pacific Railroad · Santa Fe Railway · Southern Pacific Railroad · Texas and Pacific Railway · Union Pacific Railroad · Ship Passenger Arrivals
- The California State Genealogical Alliance's Online Research Guide briefly tells about early settlement, research facilities in the state.
- Finding Aids for the collections of university libraries, public libraries, state and county archives, historical societies, genealogical societies and other record repositories are collected together in the Online Archive of California
Things You Can Do
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News