California Divorce Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: California Divorce Index, 1966-1984 .
The collection consists of indexes to divorces from the California Department of Health Services in Sacramento. Index provided by Ancestry.com.
The index lists the following information:
- Name of husband
- Name of wife
- Docket number
- Divorce date
- Divorce place
- Reference number (page, volume, entry number)
How to Use the Record
Begin your search by finding your ancestors in the index. Name indexes to divorces make it possible to access a specific record quickly. Remember that these indexes may contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
When searching the index it is helpful to know the following:
- The name of the person at the time of the divorce
- The place where the divorce occurred
- The approximate divorce date
Use the locator information found in the index (such as page, volume, or entry number) to locate your ancestor in the divorce records. Compare the information in the record to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if this is the correct person. You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination.
If you do not find the person you are looking for, try the following:
- Look for alternate spellings of names.
- Look for a different index. Divorce records are a court record. Court records are often indexed at the beginning or end of record volumes. You might also want to check with a local genealogical or historical society as they often have indexes to local records.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for this Collection
The following citation explains the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records:
California. California Department of Health Services. Divorce Index, 1966-1984. Sacramento, California. Index provided by Ancestry.com. Salt Lake City, Utah.
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- “Delaware Marriage Records,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 4 March 2011), entry for William Anderson and Elizabeth Baynard Henry, married 23 November 1913; citing marriage certificate no. 859; FHL microfilm 2,025,063; Delaware Bureau of Archives and Records Management, Dover.
- “El Salvador Civil Registration,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 21 March 2011), entry for Jose Maria Antonio del Carmen, born 9 April 1880; citing La Libertad, San Juan Opico, Nacimientos 1879-1893, image 50; Ministerio Archivo Civil de la Alcaldia Municipal de San Salvador.
- "Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002" index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 7 October 2011. entry for Lawrence Fredreick Evans, died 31 December 1992; citing Death Records, reference number 2,450,537, certificate 034,578; Index provided by Ancestry,com, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More