Camden, MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Megunticook Plantation was organized from part of the Waldo Patent, also known as the Muscongus Patent. And Camden Plantation, also spelled Cambden, existed prior to 1791 when it was used to form the new town of Cambden (later Camden). Camden set off land a month later, and more again two years later to the town of Rockport, Maine. Camden annexed land from Warren in 1836.
What is now Camden was apparently formed in what was then Hancock County, Maine. Later in 1791 it was returned to Lincoln County. In 1827 it was set off to Waldo County, and in 1860 to Knox County, where it is today.
- Marlene A. Groves, Vital records of Camden/Rockport, Maine (Rockland, Maine : Picton Press, c2006). At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Book 974.153 V2g.
- Jacqueline Young Watts, and Isabel Morse Maresh, Camden-Rockport, Maine : births, deaths and marriages (Lincolnville, Maine : J & I History Press, c1985). At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Film 1598213 Item 3; Book 974.153 V2w.
Camden town records are preserved at Rockport, Maine. A microfilm copy is available from Family History Centers on FHL Films 12046 and 12047 including town records 1791-1818; warnings out of town; minutes of town meetings; roads; strays; deaths 1835-1891; boundaries; accounts; list of jurors; intentions of marriage 1790-1844; marriage records 1792-1841; family records listing births and deaths; Intentions of marriage and marriage records 1844-1891.
Libraries and Historical Societies
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Camden, Knox County, Maine in Maine Genealogy (accessed 17 September 2013).
- ↑ Maine Historical Records Survey Project, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration, Counties, Cities, Towns, and Plantations of Maine: a Handbook of Incorporations, Dissolutions, and Boundary Changes (Portland, Maine: The Survey, 1940), 69 (digital p. 78). A digital version is available via a link in the FHL Catalog.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Legal History of Camden, Maine in Maine Genealogy (accessed 17 September 2013).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More