Cape Girardeau County, Missouri GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Cape Girardeau County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cape Girardeau County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||October 1, 1812|
|Address|| Cape Girardeau County Courthouse|
1 Barton Square
Jackson, MO 63755
Cape Girardeau County Website
County Clerk has birth and death records 1883-1893
and land records 1821-1859; County Recorder has
marriage records; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and
court records; Probate Judge has probate records;
Riversize Regional Library has all records on microfilm
Cape Girardeau County predates the state of Missouri which was admitted to the union in 1821. Cape Girardeau was one of the five original districts of the Louisiana Territory from 1805-1812 and one of the five original counties of the Missouri Territory from 1812 to 1821.
1812--Cape Girardeau County was created 1 October 1812 as an original county.
County seat: Jackson 
See an interactive map of Cape Girardeau County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Cape Girardeau County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
- Map of Cape Girardeau County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Cape Girardeau County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Civil War service men from Cape Girardeau County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Cape Girardeau County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Illinois Light Artillery, Battery F.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Cape Girardeau County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
- 1866-1871 - Cape Girardeau County Birth Index, Volume D, 1866-1871. Batch C514722 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1805-1868 - Cape Girardeau County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1805-1868. Batch M514721 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1885 - Cape Girardeau County Marriage Books D and E Index 1868-1885. Batch M514722 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1893 - Cape Girardeau County Death Index 1883-1893. Batch B514723 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cape Girardeau County, Missouri. Page 398 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August 2012)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.