Carlton County, Minnesota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Carlton County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carlton County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||May 23, 1857|
|Address|| Carlton County Courthouse|
301 Walnut Avenue
Carlton, MN 55718
Carlton County Website
Clerk District Court has birth, marriage, death, burial, probate, court,
land and naturalization records from 1972. 
- 1857--Carlton County was created 23 May 1857 from Pine and St. Louis Counties. County seat: Carlton 
- For a brief history of how Carlton County was named, click here, then select Carlton County.
Atkinson Township | Automba Township | Barnum Township | Beseman Township | Blackhoof Township | Eagle Township | Holyoke Township | Kalevala Township | Lakeview Township | Mahtowa Township | Moose Lake Township | Perch Lake Township | Silver Township | Silver Brook Township | Skelton Township | Split Rock Township | Thomson Township | Twin Lakes Township | Wrenshall Township
Clear Creek | North Carlton
Atkinson | Automba | Duesler | Esko | Harney | Holyoke | Iverson | Mahtowa | Nemadji | Otter Creek | Pleasant Valley | Sawyer | Scotts Corner
- Hillcrest Cemetery, Cloquet, Carlton - interment.net
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Carlton – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Carlton County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Carlton County, Minnesota Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Carlton County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Carlton County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Family History Library Catalog
- Carlton County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Carlton County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carlton County, Minnesota page 362, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More