Carter County, Missouri GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Carter County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carter County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||March 10, 1859|
|County Seat||Van Buren|
|Address|| Carter County Courthouse|
105 Main Street;
Van Buren, MO 63965-0517
Carter County Website
Recorder of Deeds has marriage and land records;
Probate Court has probate records from 1859
See an interactive map of Carter County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Carter County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
- Interactive map of Carter County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Carter County.
Carter County Newspapers on Microfilm at the State Historical Society County Newspapers
Some Pre-1901 Birth Records are available online at Missouri State Archives. Birth Records - Over 250 reels of microfilm containing birth and death records from 1883 to 1893 are available at the Archives for research. To learn more about researching birth and death records from this period, contact the Archives at [email@example.com]
Carter County, Missouri Marriages, 1860 -1900. County court records located at Van Buren, Missouri. Family History Library film # (0927642) / Film
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carter County, Missouri. Page 398 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News