Carter Indian Agency (Wisconsin)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Carter Agency was established in 1911 at Carter, Wisconsin with responsibility for several bands of Potawatomi Indians in Wisconsin and Michigan. It was moved to Laona, Wisconsin in 1916 and thereafter was known as the Laona Agency.
Most of the records are included under the records of Laona Agency, although the following are considered records of the Carter Agency and are cataloged under that name in the records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Carter Agency are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 11, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm roll number 1724229).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1915. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 22. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 573868). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News