Cayuga IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Indians of North America-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Ancestral Homeland: Cayuga Lake, New York
One of the Five/Six Nations of Iroquois
The Cayuga Nation is primarily associated with the state of New York.
Linguistic group: Iroquoian
P. O. Box 11
Versailles, NY 14168-0011
- Cayuga Nation Official Website
Lived near Lake Cayuga in New York. Many moved to Canada during the Revolutionary War, others moved to Ohio, Wisconsin and Indian Territory
The Cayuga were a member of the confederation of the Five Nations of Iroquois (later six)
- 1660: population estimated as 1,500
- 1775-1783: American Revolution
- 1778: population 1,100
- 1784 October 22, treaty at Fort Stanwix with The Six Nations
- 1789 January 9, treaty at Fort Harmar, with The Six Nations
- 1792April 23, treaty with the Five Nations of Indians
- 1794 November 11, treaty at Konondaigua
- 1838 January 15, treaty at Buffalo Creek, treaty with New York - acknowledge
The tribe is primarily associated with the Cayuga Reservation in New York.
The tribe was under the following jurisdictions
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Cayuga Nation, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods.
Correspondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||Pre-1880 Correspondence M234 Roll Number||FHL Film Number||Post-1885 Census M595 Roll Number||FHL Film Number|
|Cayuga|| New York Agency
|Washington D.C.||Rolls 583-97||-||Rolls 290-300||- FHL Films:579700-579709|
|Cayuga||Miami Agency, 1870-1952||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||-||-||-||-|
The year link (year of treaty) is a conncetion to an online copy of the treaty.
- 1784 October 22, at Fort Stanwix with The Six Nations
- 1789 January 9, at Fort Harmar, with The Six Nations
- 1792April 23, with the Five Nations of Indians
- 1794 November 11,at Konondaigua
- 1838 January 15, at Buffalo Creek, treaty with New York - acknowledge
Important Web Sites
- ↑ Indian Entities Recognized and Eligible To Receive Services From the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs, Federal Register, Vol. 67, No. 134, 12 July 2002 Available online
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.