Cerrigydrudion, Conwy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(add info in links)
(transcribed parish description from out-of-copyright books)
Line 7: Line 7:
 
=== History  ===
 
=== History  ===
  
 +
"CERRI Y DRUIDION (CERYG Y DRUDION), A parish in the hundred of Isaled, 10 miles (W.N.W.) from Corwen on the old Holyhead road, containing 1006 inhabitants. The name of this place signifies "the stones of the daring ones" and not "of the Druids" as some hafe interpreted it; The parish contains about twenty thousand acres, including a large tract of dreary mountain and moorland. ..... The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is a spacious structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a lofty chantry chapel adjoining the south side. There are three places of worship for Calvinistic and two for Wesleyan Methodists, two for Independents, and one for Baptists...." [ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
  
 +
"The parish includes also the townships of Clustyblaidd, Cwmpenanner, Gwernheurn, Hafod-y-Maidd, Llaethwryd, Park, and Voel."&nbsp; [Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72, John Marius Wilson]<br>
  
"A parish in the Union of Corwen, hundred of Isaled, ten miles (WNW) from Corwen on the old Holyhead road. ..... The parish contains about twenty thousand acres, including a large tract of dreary mountain and moorland. ..... The breeding of cattle and sheep, the diggging of peat for fuel, the spinning of wollen yarn, and the knitting of stockings form the principal occupations of the inhabitants. The neighbourhood abounds with good grazing land, a great portion of which is let by the proprietors to the Anglesey dealers, for the pasturage of cattle, on their way from that isle to the midland counties of England." [ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 &amp; 1849, Samuel Lewis]
+
For more information see [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Cerrigydrudion/index.html Cerrig-y-Drudion at genuki.org.uk]<br>
 
+
This very extensive parish comprises the townships of Clust y blaidd, Cwmpenanner (or Tre'r Cwm), Hafod-y-maidd (or Tre-hafod-y-maidd), Llaethwryd, Trebrys Uchaf, Tre'rfoel, Tre'r Geifr, Tre'rllan, and Tre'r Abad Uchaf (also known as Tir yr abad Uchaf, Rhwyng Brenig ac Alwen, or Tre tu hwnt i Alwen). For more information see [http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Cerrigydrudion/index.html Cerrig-y-Drudion at genuki.org.uk]<br>
+
  
 
=== Administration  ===
 
=== Administration  ===

Revision as of 17:09, 7 June 2013

WalesGotoarrow.pngConwyGotoarrow.pngCerrigydrudion

Cerrigydrudion is a village community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Conwy, Wales.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Denbighshire and, between 1874 and 1996 in the County of Clwyd. In 1996 it became part of the modern County Borough of Conwy.

Contents

History

"CERRI Y DRUIDION (CERYG Y DRUDION), A parish in the hundred of Isaled, 10 miles (W.N.W.) from Corwen on the old Holyhead road, containing 1006 inhabitants. The name of this place signifies "the stones of the daring ones" and not "of the Druids" as some hafe interpreted it; The parish contains about twenty thousand acres, including a large tract of dreary mountain and moorland. ..... The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is a spacious structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a lofty chantry chapel adjoining the south side. There are three places of worship for Calvinistic and two for Wesleyan Methodists, two for Independents, and one for Baptists...." [ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]

"The parish includes also the townships of Clustyblaidd, Cwmpenanner, Gwernheurn, Hafod-y-Maidd, Llaethwryd, Park, and Voel."  [Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72, John Marius Wilson]

For more information see Cerrig-y-Drudion at genuki.org.uk

Administration

Years County
before 31 March 1974 Denbighshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Conwy

Records

Civil Registration

Church Records

Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464320.


Probate Records

Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites