Chambers County, AlabamaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
|Chambers County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 18, 1832|
2 LaFayette Street,
LaFayette, AL 36862,
Phone: (334) 864-4348
Probate office has marriage records from 1833
probate and land records from 1843
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
There is no parent county because Chambers County was created from the 1832 Creek Cession.
County seat: Lafayette
Biographies of many notable residents of Chambers County, Alabama were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 624.
All of these cemeteries are owned by the City of Valley.
Additional Chambers County cemeteries are included in Alabama Cemetery Records Vol. 1 at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
For tips on accessing Chambers County, Alabama census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Chambers County, Alabama|
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960|
Land and Property
- Richards, Evan Goodin. Reminiscenses of the Early Days in Chambers County. n.d. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL Book 976.1 A1 no. 55.
- Valley Historical Scrapbook. West Point, Ga.: The Society, 1970. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
The Valley Times News is located at 220 N 12th St. Lanett, Alabama. Phone # is 334-644-1101
The LaFayette Sun is located 116 LaFayette St., LaFayette, Alabama. Phone # is 334=864-8885
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Chambers County is in District 2.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
The Cobb Memorial Archives is located at 3419 20th Ave. Valley, Alabama. Phone # is 334-768-2052.
The Chambers county Library is located at 3419 20th Ave. Valley, Alabama. Phone # is 334-768-2052
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Chambers County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Chambers County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chambers County p. 35. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback