Champaign County, Ohio
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Added intro and headings)
(Added Vital Records info)
|Line 136:||Line 136:|
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
===== Birth =====
===== Birth =====
Revision as of 21:50, 1 February 2013
|Champaign County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Champaign County Courthouse|
200 N. Main Street
Urbana, Ohio 43078
Champaign County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Franklin and Greene counties 20 February 1805.
- County Seat: Urbana
- Neighboring Counties: Champaign County, Ohio residents may also have records in Logan (north) · Union (northeast) · Clark (south) · Shelby and Miami (west) · Madison (east)
See an interactive map of Champaign County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Miami Valley Genealogy Index is an Index to more than a half million pointers to records all over Miami Valley including Champaign County.
Land and Property
- Civil War, 1861-1865
Civil War service men from Champaign County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Champaign County.
- - 113th Regiment, Ohio Infantry , Companies E and K
Roster of Soldiers who enlisted from Champaign County, Ohio, for service in the Armies of the United States during the war of 1861-1865, who died or were killed in the service.
List courtesy of Champaign County Historical Society.
Champaign County Military burials with many brief biographies at Find A Grave (11 records)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Champaign County, Ohio newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
To access newspapers, contact public libraries, Ohio Genealogical Society chapters, college or university libraries, the Library of Congress, Google News, or the Ohio Historical Society. The Ohio Genealogical Society Obituary Database is another source of newspaper information.
For more Ohio newspaper information see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page Ohio Newspapers.
Online Newspaper Abstracts
Newspaper Extracts and Abstracts in Book Form
Champaign County Courthouse
200 N Main Street
Urbana, OH 43078
Probate Judge has birth, marriage and probate records.
County Health Department has death records.
County Auditor has burial records.
County Recorder has land records.
County Clerk has divorce and court records.
Family History Centers
Champaign County Chapter, Ohio Genealogical Society . PO Box 682 . Urbana, OH 43078-0680
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Ohio enacted a statute in 1856 -1857 requiring registration of births, deaths and marriages, many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1867 but, again, was not always followed. By 1908, the law was more clearly defined and kept. Any existing birth and death records from 1867 through December 19, 1908 are located at the Champaign County, Ohio Probate Court. The Ohio Department of Health has birth records filed after December 20, 1908 and death records filed after January 1, 1954 while the Ohio Historical Society houses death records from December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953.
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 540, Champaign County, Ohio. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Champaign County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champaign_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
|This Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback